 General / 48857
Re: Definitive list of LEGO Themes needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:37:31 GMT

"Kelly McKiernan" <kelly@anagrafyxx.com> wrote in message
I'm in search of a two things, and I bet some helpful persons here can • provide:

+ A definitive list of LEGO product themes;¬

I don't believe there is such a thing. IMO official themes 'died' with the
demise of space/castle/pirate in the late '90's. After that, it's open to
interpretation and I suspect you'd have trouble getting the
Brickset/Peeron/Lugnet/Bricklink databases to agree in many cases on what
constitutes a theme and what is a subtheme of another theme.

For example, Knights' Kingdom: Brickset says it's a theme in its own right.
Bricklink and the others by the looks of things reckon it's a subtheme of
Castle called Knights' Kingdom II which is clearly unofficial, although from
the fan's point of view is probably more logical.

Racers is another anomaly which, when first released, was considered by
Brickset as subtheme of Technic, but now that it has diversified it's a
theme in its own right.

Many would say Bionicle is a subtheme of Technic given the number range, but
I suspect you'd disagree on that one :-)

How about themes with regional names: Western/Wild West, Throwbot/Slizer
(OK, that's a subtheme of Technic :-) )

This is a potential minefield; get 10 fans together and you'll get 10 lists.
Here on Lugnet, multiply that by 100 :-)

The solution is probably therefore to agree on a core list, the most
popular, then lump the others under 'other' as has been suggested elsewhere.

Huw