 General / 48422
Re: A fan no more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:14:38 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, John Gerlach wrote:
   Besides it’s all supposed to be part of a “system”, right? Without some studded Technic bricks it’s hard to connect to regular bricks!

Bam! There’s my objection, I think. Lego used to be more of a system, and it’s gradually turning into several different systems. It’s not that they’re not compaitable, it’s that they’re LESS compatible, or less related. Studded beams, while less useful in practical technical applications (due to being off-center top to bottom, having a non-smooth surface on the top, allowing less clearance, having square corners), are less like the rest of Lego toys. It’s hard to see nowadays that a technic set has much in common whatsoever with, say, a Harry Potter set, besides the little red logo in the corner.

Technic sets nowadays are more based on the peg/axle-and-hole system, rather than the stud-and-tube system of yesteryear. It’s not that you can’t cross over, and it’s not that each system isn’t valuable in its own right, but it’s changed. And modern technic sets allow for less crossover, being without studs.

Personally, not being much of a technic builder myself, technic still appealed to me back when it had studded beams (not as much as ‘System’ sets, mind you, but still appealed). There were pieces I could use, and even lots of non-technic pieces included. Now it’s diverged so that I view most technic sets as nearly completely uninteresting. My guess is, however, that for people who’ve always been technic builders, they’re likely indifferent, or if anything, prefer the new system, since it’s more practical. To each his own, I suppose, though I will still lament the loss of studded-beam-intensive sets...

DaveE