 General / 48418
Re: A fan no more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:45:13 GMT

In lugnet.general, Peter Roberts wrote:
   Thanks, I’m pretty sure that was what I was trying to say when I got everyone so angry.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I wasn’t angry. Every time this subject comes up, I keep hoping to see some more specific instances where the old-style TECHNIC works better, but all I ever see is “everything”. It’s clearly not true, or there wouldn’t be any advocates for stud-free construction.

   You said it a lot better though.

Not really, but he did say it a lot “bigger”. It’s basically the same old rant that pops up every few months, where the only thing that changes is the set numbers. I want to see someone cite an instance where a single studded TECHNIC brick would be more effective than a single stud-free TECHNIC liftarm. Kevin has stated many times that liftarms work better for robotics because of weight and clearance issues, and I’ve found them to be much more versatile for sculpture, like Kiki from Sluggy Freelance.

   I was asking what now defines Lego.

The experience, as has always been the case.

   Current lego doesn’t have to have studs or tubes in entire models, and t can still be called Lego.

Look at all of the changes that have happened to the 2x4 brick over the years. They changed the material from CA to ABS, they added tubes to the inside for better grip, more recently they’ve added gussets for strength and vertical ridges for even better grip, and now they’re adding horizontal ridges so TECHNIC pin flanges can clip into the undersides. Older blocky shapes are making way for lots of curved slopes and wedge shapes.

   I did say later after everyone started complaining about my viewpoint that 8455 is possibly best how it is, but I suppose you’re right, the reason I thought it wouldn’t work was due to size, rather than accepting the fact that bigger might be better.

“Better” is a very subjective term. Better for you doesn’t mean better for everyone. Being able to make the same basic model in a smaller scale means it can be sold at a lower price point, and that means it can sell more units. Small sets are the money-makers, and larger sets are most useful as inspiration for kids who can’t afford to buy them individually, but can build up a collection large enough to emulate them over time. They still need to cover their own development costs, though, and in today’s market that means they need to be more affordable to warrant the shelf space to display them. Wal-Mart even stopped stocking any sets that cost over $50 because they’ve got such slow turnaround that they might as well be display items instead of salable product.

   A bit off my current tangent, who can honestly say the one on the left looks better?

http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=798618

It looks a lot less chunky, and the TECHNIC panels do a good job of emulating the curvy front ends of many older dune buggies, and the liftarms more accurately represent the round tubestock used for frames than TECHNIC bricks do. I don’t really see myself buying either as a set just because I don’t have a huge interest in building dune buggies, but I’d be much more likely to buy the one on the left for spare parts.