 General / 48500
Re: A fan no more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 04:26:15 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, David Simmons wrote:
Take my wife. (resists temptation to make obvious joke here).

(further resists temptation)

LOL

I did show my wife the difference
between fingered hinges and click-hinges (especially in the case of the
click-hinge replacement of the roof piece in that new Water Plane set) and
she got it immediately.  That's why I love her.  *sniff*

She gets the "building" problem. But does she agree with you on handing in your
Lego Fan badge because of it? Does she think it should make you very sad? Ask
her.

They are trying a few different things.

Trying and failing, IMHO.

Some are succeeding, some are failing. Some that are failing I wish would
succeed, and some that a succeeding I wish weren't necessary.

That's what makes it interesting and fun to watch.

I never liked Jack Stone and I'm ambivalent about Bionicle.  If Bionicle
ultimately gets more kids into Lego (and hopefully building with bricks as
well as building action figures) then that's great, but whether or not
Bionicle will accomplish this remains to be seen.

I bought a Bionicle about 3 years ago and have never even been tempted to use
any of its special parts in my own MOCs. But if it helps keep TLC in business
for a few more years, it works for me.

However, it seems to me that Lego is going more strongly than ever in the
direction of morphing their product into and marketing their product as an
"action" toy and not a "building" toy.  Granted "action" has always been a
PART of the Lego product philosophy, but it disturbs me to see more and more
evidence that "action" is becoming the MAIN component of the toy.  They seem
to be emphasizing "playing" over "building THEN playing" with the majority
of the product line (Designer sets being the exception).  That's what
bothers me most.  Look for my letter to the company in .color in the next
few days, I've tried to explain it more clearly there.

I see what you mean. But I don't think you can treat the Designer sets as a
minor exception. I don't want to sound like a cringing apologist for TLC, but
have a look at the website:

Baby and Toddler: Designed for babies and toddlers. Including baby toys, DUPLO
building sets and the new larger Quatro bricks

Young Builders: Introduce your child to the world of building with Lego bricks.
Trains, trucks, Spiderman 2, Bellville and more!

Stories and Themes: Enjoy your favourite play sets - including Star Wars,
Bionicle, Harry Potter, and other classic Lego themes

Action and Competition: Get into the action with Lego NHL and NBA Sports, racers
and video games. Build, play and win!

Building Sets: Building sets for Children with big imagination. Including the
new girl's line clickits, Technic and Robotics

Lego's efforts in the Young Builder space have been perennially misunderstood by
AFOLS. (I would be disappointed if I was a big Pirates fan and it was MY
favourite theme that had been Juniorised! But I wouldn't let it make me sad.
Especially since the big ship is still on the shelf as a Legend)

The "building" value (I think I get what you mean) is woeful in Action and
Competition. If you define "building" even more narrowly to be associated only
with bricks, that cuts out Bionicle and Technic (if you have ever built some
larger Bionicles sets they are actually quite interesting to build).

But for hard core builders, future's so bright I have to wear shades. Just look
at what's there these days compared to the pathetic basic sets and parts packs
of yesteryear! Buckets galore, Designer, Inventor etc etc etc.

I'm tryin' man, I really am!  However, I gotta disagree with you about the
click-hinge conversion being a "little thing."  Think about all the ways you
use fingered hinges.  Now replace them (which is happening as we speak) with
a click-hinge version.  Is it still going to work the way you intended in
all those scenarios?  I know it wouldn't because I've tried.

Did you throw out all your old fingered hinges? Will the absence of fingered
hinges really stop people from starting the hobby? I hope not and I doubt it.

This is not to say that I dislike click-hinges.  I think they're really
cool.  However, I only like them as additions, not replacements.  I've seen
no indication that TLG is going to continue to produce both, and I don't
appreciate not having a choice in the matter.

Two points:
1. They aren't taking away your choice! All the old parts still exist! And ABS
lasts virtually forever if look after it! And Bricklink is your friend if you
need more.
2. PLEASE don't take the change as a some kind of sign that TLC is changing for
the worse. Its just a kind of neutral change.