 General / 48365
Re: A fan no more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 02:52:19 GMT

"David Eaton" <deaton@intdata.com> wrote in message
news:I0K9M9.1GG2@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, David Simmons wrote:

[ ... snipped ... ]

Click hinges, I dunno. I doubt that's a change that's come about due to a • change
in focus. My guess is that Lego feels that these click hinges will be • better
over time than other hinges:

1) Other hinges can be pretty flimsy after even a little bit of wear (or
sometimes almost no wear). Click hinges (I'm guessing) will hold up better • over
time
2) Click hinges are compatible with each other, whereas older style hinges
aren't. Bendy arms and 5-finger hinges don't go together, and neither do • 1x5
bendy plates.
3) Click hinges are certainly more sturdy right from the start. They hold • their
position REALLY well, and can take more friction.

[ ... snipped ... ]

Have to disagree with your take on click hinges.  They do wear out and they
wear out quickly IMNSHO.  I built the green chameleon from the Wild
Collection when it first came out and set it on my desk at home.  Over time
it began to sag.  It wasn't played with, the hinges weren't opened and
closed numerous times.  It simply started to sag from carrying the weight of
the model.  I have some pretty old fingered hinges and they retain their
stiffness pretty well over time.

I have posted about it before, I am not a fan of the click hinges as a
replacemet for finger hinges.  I think they are a far less elegant solution
and in many cases don't open or perform their hinge action nearly as well as
the comparable fingered hinge element (see small Fire Boat, Soccer Bus, and
several others) as the model is more apt to come apart than the hinge to
open correctly.

The fingered hinges also lie flatter than the click hinges do which means
they can fit within a one plate thick space, the click hinges can't do that.

My $0.02, YMMV.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com