 General / 48428
Re: A fan no more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:54:18 GMT

In lugnet.general, Doug Eaton wrote:
You expressed several good points including some I had.  I think a lot of
the rants are coming from people who remember the first technic models and
how easily they could mix basic parts in technic models and vice versa.

You know, even though you probably weren't trying to, I think you just answered
my biggest question.  I've always been looking at the old TECHNIC parts in terms
of combining TECHNIC aspects into System constructions, which is a big advantage
that they have over the stud-free parts.  I hadn't really been thinking in terms
of getting a TECHNIC collection off the ground as a standalone system vs. being
dependant upon that big pile of basic LEGO bricks that you've already got
sitting in front of you.  That's probably the deciding factor between AFOLs who
have no desire for stud-free construction, and the very young crowd who are
skipping over System bricks and diving straight into TECHNIC in its modern form.
Without a pile of System bricks to give you a big advantage for going with the
studded parts, it basically boils down to the merits of the system on its own.
Kids go for the stud-free stuff because it can give you the same functionality
at a more affordable price (and when you're not pulling down a five-figure
allowance each year...), but many AFOLs have considerably more building
resources available when they can use basic bricks as filler material.

For an example of using Basic, Technic, Znap, Castle and Mindstorms
simultaneously

You're missing DUPLO.

(I need to add space and pirate somehow)

You could add some wings so it can fly in space, and give it a crow's nest so it
can have a spotter looking for land masses in its path.  ;P

It's not easy but then again, I build for the challenge and enjoy tying
different technologies together.

I find that I often work from the other direction, tying different systems
together when necessary to achieve the look that I want.