 General / 48392
Re: A fan no more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 23:02:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Peter Roberts wrote:
In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Snip lots of good analysis

In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote:
Lego just figured their new idea
was better.

Or the patent protection on it would last longer than the older versions it
replaced.

Perhaps this is why we're not seeing real technic any more.  The new technic
sets put into question what defines Lego.  They have none of the features of a
2x4 brick accept for the fact they're made of ABS.  Technic has evolved into a
separate building system, rather than continuing to be compatable with Lego.

You seem to be saying that today's technic is wholly incompatible with the rest
of the LEGO product line.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

Do you have any evidence to back up this outlandish claim?  Studded beams (that
are still available in technic sets) are extremely compatible with the rest of
the product line.  They have studs.  Sure you can't hook an axle to parts
without holes, but I suspect you are not talking about axles.  24T and 40T gears
have stud recepticles, and make wonderful "gender changers", as do studless
beams.

Studless parts really seem to be the parts that people have issues with.
Studless parts have stud holes and also make good gender changers.  Ever need to
have a double female plate?  Try joining two plates studs into a studless beam.

We've just seen a studded fan build a the new crane truck and start to
appreciate the studless beams.  Yes, they are not as strong as studded beams,
because they don't have as much ABS.  Then again, they can be used in geometries
not achievable with studded beams.

I wish that there were more studded sets and studless/studded mixed sets.  Do I
think that the technic studded technology will go away?  No.

Many people put down the studless parts, but have never really tried to use
them.

I came out of my dark ages when the RIS first came to market.  It contained
studded and studless parts.  I find both studded and studless parts equally
usable, but in different ways.  I had the advantage of not having pre-conceived
ideas about building techniques.  I would think an open minded builder would
embrace the new parts because they provide new possibilities. I have *more*
studded technic bricks than studless technic beams, but I tend to use studless
most of the time.

When we get down to the basics, there seem to be two big complaints about
studless parts:

- they are displacing studded parts, and therefore will be studded brick's
demise.  I don't buy it.

- some people don't know how to build with the studless so they they are
unhappy.  They try to use studless parts just like they would use studded, and
of course they are dissatisfied.  I can only encourage these dissenters to get
out of the box and embrace the new possibilities.  Just because you don't know
how to build with these parts does not make them bad.

Be happy!  We have studded and studless technologies that are inter-compatible
with each other and the rest of the LEGO product line.

I'd be happy to analyze your case that new technic is incompatible with the rest
of the LEGO line.  Do you have *any* facts to back this up?

Many of my designs are completely studless or a mix of studded and studless.
Have a peek.

Kevin

http://www.kclague.net
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=kclague