 General / 48487
Re: A fan no more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 20:19:32 GMT

But David - click hinges? Suggest you discuss your concern about click • hinges
with someone you can trust who is outside the Lego community.
Take my wife. (resists temptation to make obvious joke here).

(further resists temptation)

When I show her how poorly the newly manufactured bricks bind together, • she can
understand my concern. But if I tried to explain the click hinges issue to • her,
she'd probably shrug.

Funny you should mention that, Mark.  I did show my wife the difference
between fingered hinges and click-hinges (especially in the case of the
click-hinge replacement of the roof piece in that new Water Plane set) and
she got it immediately.  That's why I love her.  *sniff*

She'd say "You let a little thing like that ruin all the
fun you have with Lego? Why don't you go and get started building your new
Maersk container ship? It looks very sexy. [remainder of imaginary • conversation
censored]"

You have a spaceship whose canopy you'd like to make "airtight". TLC has a • huge
loss-making toy company to keep in business. They are trying a few • different
things.

Trying and failing, IMHO.

For AFOLs, some of them will be a little disappointing ("Knights Kingdom • is
ugly") or initially confusing ("I get it now. Jack Stone is meant for FOUR • YEAR
OLDS") or infuriating ("darn those Bionicles are turning the kids off REAL
Lego"). Some of them will be incorrect ("Is it really a good idea to drop • Duplo
branding?").

I never liked Jack Stone and I'm ambivalent about Bionicle.  If Bionicle
ultimately gets more kids into Lego (and hopefully building with bricks as
well as building action figures) then that's great, but whether or not
Bionicle will accomplish this remains to be seen.

However, it seems to me that Lego is going more strongly than ever in the
direction of morphing their product into and marketing their product as an
"action" toy and not a "building" toy.  Granted "action" has always been a
PART of the Lego product philosophy, but it disturbs me to see more and more
evidence that "action" is becoming the MAIN component of the toy.  They seem
to be emphasizing "playing" over "building THEN playing" with the majority
of the product line (Designer sets being the exception).  That's what
bothers me most.  Look for my letter to the company in .color in the next
few days, I've tried to explain it more clearly there.

Give TLC some more benefit of the doubt, and try not to let the little • things
get you down.

I'm tryin' man, I really am!  However, I gotta disagree with you about the
click-hinge conversion being a "little thing."  Think about all the ways you
use fingered hinges.  Now replace them (which is happening as we speak) with
a click-hinge version.  Is it still going to work the way you intended in
all those scenarios?  I know it wouldn't because I've tried.

This is not to say that I dislike click-hinges.  I think they're really
cool.  However, I only like them as additions, not replacements.  I've seen
no indication that TLG is going to continue to produce both, and I don't
appreciate not having a choice in the matter.

DinosaurDave