 General / 48484
Re: A fan no more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:32:55 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Simmons wrote:
I'm sad.  Really, really sad.

I blame TLC for this man's sadness. 2003 just raised everyone's expectations too
high. Along with some truly inspired set designs, I think 2003 saw a genuine
change in direction closer to the "true" Lego values as I see them, and I
haven't seen any evidence of any backsliding in 2004.

But David - click hinges? Suggest you discuss your concern about click hinges
with someone you can trust who is outside the Lego community.

Take my wife. (resists temptation to make obvious joke here).

When I show her how poorly the newly manufactured bricks bind together, she can
understand my concern. But if I tried to explain the click hinges issue to her,
she'd probably shrug. She'd say "You let a little thing like that ruin all the
fun you have with Lego? Why don't you go and get started building your new
Maersk container ship? It looks very sexy. [remainder of imaginary conversation
censored]"

You have a spaceship whose canopy you'd like to make "airtight". TLC has a huge
loss-making toy company to keep in business. They are trying a few different
things.

For AFOLs, some of them will be a little disappointing ("Knights Kingdom is
ugly") or initially confusing ("I get it now. Jack Stone is meant for FOUR YEAR
OLDS") or infuriating ("darn those Bionicles are turning the kids off REAL
Lego"). Some of them will be incorrect ("Is it really a good idea to drop Duplo
branding?").

Give TLC some more benefit of the doubt, and try not to let the little things
get you down.