 General / 48352
Subject:
A fan no more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 06:43:03 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hey all,

It took some time, but I've finally come to a very sad decision: I will no
longer purchase any new Lego and I will no longer declare myself an advocate
for TLG.  I might have been able to tolerate the color change, but the
click-hinge invasion/conversion has just completely destroyed my faith in
the company.  I just can't get excited about buying new sets knowing that I'
m going to have to sort out half or more of the pieces and trade or sell
them because I don't want them.  Granted, we've all done this for years, but
NOT for the same reasons.

This decision was also spurred by the arrival in my mailbox today of the
Summer 2004 catalog.  Each turn of the page further confirmed to me that
Lego has ceased to be what I loved.  Too many of the set pictures don't show
you what the whole set looks like and the pictures are blurred with action
graphics that distort what should be in focus.  Also, the overall set design
has continued to worsen.  The new Alpha Team sets are almost uniformly
hideous, and the new Castle sets are so filled with pre-fab it's just
painfully Playmobil.  Basic bricks and plates seem to be in danger of
disappearing altogether.  The real shame is that the new Designer sets look
spectacular, particularly the Titan XP mech set which is just gorgeous (an
obvious tribute to the original Gundam robot).  It's so bittersweet because
the set is loaded with the new dark gray.  Now some might say that this is
an opportunity to load up on new dark gray pieces, and that may well be
true, but who knows if TLG will decide to "retire" other colors that are far
older?  To me, the very real possiblity of this just smacks too much of the
predetermined obsolence that dominates the PC industry (and other
industries).  I'm not made of money, and if TLG thinks that they can get
collectors to buy more sets just so that they can have the parts they need
in the new colors, then I wish them luck.

I will still play with my Lego, I will still buy Lego from Bricklink and
other secondary sources, and I will still post new creations on my website.
However, I cannot continue to directly support a company that has repeatedly
demonstrated such a total lack of regard for the principles that I believe
once made TLG the best Toy Company in the world.

I'm sad.  Really, really sad.

David Simmons

Re: A fan no more