 General / 48378
Re: A fan no more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 18:17:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, William R. Ward wrote:
Another advantage is that they are compatible with clips.  For example a 1x1
plate with clip can interface with a 2-fingered click hinge.

While that is true, the flimsy connection very much suggests that this is pure
coincidence.

I also can't see any possibility that they switched to the click-hinge system
solely because of patent expiration.  The looming expiration date was probably
involved in any conscious decision to create a new style of hinge, but you don't
abandon something that works just because the patent ran out.  Cars still ride
on wheels, and TLC still makes the 2x4 brick.  No, it's pretty clear that the
"universal hinge" idea holds some sort of merit in their eyes, or they wouldn't
be systematically redesigning every hinge.

I dislike the lack of "airtightness" of click hinges and the bulkiness of
them, but as a system they are a lot more versatile.  I just think LEGO
should keep some fingered hinges around, rather than switching 100% to click
hinges.

I've gotten the impression that finger and barrel hinges are better for moving
parts, but the click hinges are better for holding poses.  Well, depending on
which generation you got.  My early-release Jedi Starfighter collapses every
time I bump it, and the hinge positions were sloppy from Day 1; but hinges
produced more recently are strong enough that they often pop other parts loose
when you try to adjust them, and they do a much better job of locking into a
single position.