 Trains / 19933
Re: First Third Party product for the LEGO(r) Trains market?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 03:02:46 GMT

I've used a Centerline track cleaner for years with my N-Gauge trains.
Their products are well designed and well made.  And the people that own the
company are a delight to deal with and always ready to strike a conversation
at shows.  But I have to agree with Ondrew that I don't see how this device,
as applied to Lego 9volt, will improve electrical connectivity or traction.
The Lego 9v system is self-cleaning by design.  Even badly oxidized track
quickly comes back after a train motor makes a couple rounds on a loop.  And
the dirt, oxidation, etc. on the rail head doesn't materially affect
traction with the rubber road wheels.

Where this track cleaner might excel is with the old 12v system.

- BMW

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan writes:
I hate to get on someone’s bad side right away but isn’t this track cleaner
cleaning the wrong part of the track? Unlike all other scales of trains Lego
trains get the power from the inside part of the rail. So basically this
track cleaner isn’t going to do much except make the track shinny.
OnDrew

In lugnet.announce, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Pretty exciting news!

This is posted on behalf of BayLTC's David (Zonker) Harris, with his
permission (and request to so post), who related the following to me:

- - - -

My home machine has lost the cookie to post to LUGNET, and Todd's
on a bus to Sacramento to catch his Amtrak train to Fresno...so, I'll post
the scoop herre first, and follow-up to Lugnet.Trains tomorrow or Monday. ;-)

The first model of this all-brass, limited-slip track cleaning car was run
on the BayLTC display layout (demonstration set-up), and performed very
well. Dick ans Sharon Webster at Centerline worked with me to develop the
the model.

Pictures at;
   http://www.baylug.org/zonker/AUT13362.JPG
   http://www.baylug.org/zonker/AUT13363.JPG
   http://www.baylug.org/zonker/AUT13364.JPG

The body is their O-gauge product, but it needs extra machining and
milling to fit the LEGO trucks. The price (without trucks) is $104, and can
be ordered! It comes in a padded box, with extra cleaning rollers (which is
a Good Thing, since you can see how dirty our track was by the grey stripes
on the white roller...). They are in contact with Jake, and may offer a
model that includes trucks. Wait and see if there is new news on that front.

After a couple loops of a 20' x 32' layout (pushed in front of two locos
and 17 freight cars), the engines were running more smoothly, and there was
a noticable improvement (lack of slow-down in certain areas). We ran this in
front of three different trains, to clean the wheels on the motors and
rolling stock!

The Centerline web site is http://www.centerline-products.com/.

I'll be working on a short web page with more info and background this
weekend, but I wanted to get the word out, in case there are any other clubs
that might be looking for something to help clean their track at public
displays. (BayLTC will be getting a second one, so we can run one on each of
the main tracks of the display layout, while we're settig up buildings!)

   Regards,

       -Z-

- - - -