 Trains / 19957
Re: First Third Party product for the LEGO(r) Trains market?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 17:31:32 GMT

I had the same thought. Here's a few more I did last night of the point at which
the motor's wheel touches the rail. They're a bit closer.

http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=390461
http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=390462
http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=390463

I'm surprised at how small the point of contact is, but it does explain the
incredible reliability of L-Gauge track, and why it's taken over 10 years for a
product like this to appear.

It seems clear to me that the cleaner will hit all of the electrically relevant
areas of the track, in addition to making the top of the rail shine (which is a
plus for shows, as well).

Rick Clark

One more followup from Zonker, with pictures

- - -

I've spent the evening jousting with bad bits on my hard disk, so no
progress on the web page tnight (it's only half-ready...)

BUT, I did take some more pictures, based on the discussions here. Most
are 'looking down the rail' at the cleaning roller, and a LEGO train motor,
to get an idea how far down the cleaning pad reaches.

By the way, the LEGO 9-volt track rail head only reaches down 1/16" of an
inch, while the rail is 0.2" tall (more then 3/16ths of an inch).

Pictures 430 and 434 show the car from above and from the side.

Pictures 506 and 507 show good details of the track/motor
points of contact.

<snip>