 Trains / 19913
Re: First Third Party product for the LEGO(r) Trains market?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 23:27:41 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Calum Tsang writes:

I can't see how it's worth $104 USD either:

First, it's not obvious whether or not it actually cleans the part of the
track that needs cleaning (the inside part).  So it's not even clear whether
or not it actually does 100% of the job.

Good point. But see Todd's post after yours. Maybe it does, maybe it
doesn't. If it does, does that change your answer?

Second, the cost/benefit ratio of doing it by hand and doing it by this
cleaner isn't clear.  For $104 USD, or roughly $150 Canadian, I could pay
some high school student minimum wage to clean track for 21 hours straight.

I don't need my track cleaned for 21 hours straight, though. I just need it
cleaned. MichLTC layouts have been cresting at 20x50. That's a lot of track
to clean by hand, can you send one of those high school students our way?

Oh, and he needs to show up precisely when he's needed, I'm not paying
unless he's working, and I can't predict exactly when the track will be
ready to be cleaned, could be sometime friday, sometime saturday, he better
hang out, ready to go, the whole time, just in case. And it better not take
more than 1/2 hour, that's all the time we can spare. And I want the same
guy all 42 times, so I don't have to explain anything to more than one
person. Hmm... he may not be in high school any more by the end of the 42nd
time (if we do 6 shows a year, that's 7 years!)

Does someone here seriously believe this is a good deal?

Not sure yet, would like to see one in action, but leaning towards it, yes,
for clubs, especially large ones.

In other words my time may be valued differently than yours, I dunno.

Hope that helps.