 Trains / 19912
Re: First Third Party product for the LEGO(r) Trains market?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 23:06:22 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Calum Tsang writes:
[...]
Second, the cost/benefit ratio of doing it by hand and doing it by this
cleaner isn't clear.  For $104 USD, or roughly $150 Canadian, I could pay
some high school student minimum wage to clean track for 21 hours straight.
Does someone here seriously believe this is a good deal?

Aw, man, but it's all about the coolness factor!  Why do something by hand
that can be done by a machine?  Even if it's more work or costs more money.
:)

I thought it looked pretty spiffy zipping around the track*.  And look how
much dirt it picks up (last photo below)...

   http://tsl.bu.edu/photo/photo.pml?BayLUG-meeting-20030426/3EAAF03C
   http://tsl.bu.edu/photo/photo.pml?BayLUG-meeting-20030426/3EAAF068
   http://tsl.bu.edu/photo/photo.pml?BayLUG-meeting-20030426/3EAAF0FB
   http://tsl.bu.edu/photo/photo.pml?BayLUG-meeting-20030426/3EAAF17D
   http://tsl.bu.edu/photo/photo.pml?BayLUG-meeting-20030426/3EAAFFCD

I'm not a member of a train club (although Russell Clark says techincally
I'm a member of BayLUG :-) but if I were, I think perhaps $104 USD would be
a reasonable investment -- as a club purchase -- if the product proves
itself useful over a year or so.

The only thing I didn't like about it is that it leaves a slippery, oily
residue on the track.  So the cleaned rails feel kind of creepy.  But on
the bright side, the cleaner does have a yummy artificial lemon/citrus scent.

--Todd

* (happened to be at the BayLUG meeting)