 Trains / 19897
Re: First Third Party product for the LEGO(r) Trains market?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:57:14 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Terry Prosper writes:

Anyway, good luck to you guys with it.  If you can make money out of this,
I'll be happy for you.

"you" in this context being Centerline(tm) (1), not Zonker (or any of the
posters to this thread).

What is most significant about this is that Centerline decided to offer
this, not (believe it or not) whether it actually works or is a good value. Why?

Because it's the first third party product for the LEGO(r) Trains market.
(2) AFAIK no (already established, not just a hobbyist) non LEGO
manufacturer has offered anything targeted specifically at this market.
There are a lot of manufacturers out there, and they all keep tabs on each other

So their decision to enter is more significant than the product itself (and
whether it works well in this environment or not), in my view. Maybe
Kaydee(tm) will be offering retrofit MagneMatic(tm) couplers and uncoupler
tracks next? Maybe a DCC vendor will offer a readymade DCC converted LEGO motor?

Who can say, but it's exciting, to me anyway.

YMMV, especially if you're not a fan of reading subject lines to see what
posts are about.

1 - Centerline are an established hobby manufacturer, have been for years,
and I've seen their stuff in use on HO layouts.

2 - I believe I may have said that already.