 Trains / 19893
Re: First Third Party product for the LEGO(r) Trains market?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 04:35:25 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Riley writes:
It's true the power comes from the inside top corner of the rail,
but if you look closer at the wheels on your train motor, you'll
see that there is a rubber O-ring which makes contact with the
*top* of the rail.  I think most of the tractive force comes from
this O-ring pressing down on the tracks and if there's oil (think
finger prints, etc...) on the track, there could be a loss of traction.
Seems like it would make sense to clean the O-rings, as well.

But wouldn't a piece of clothing and water-soap do the trick?  104$ for a
gadget that will probably take more time cleaning the track than what you'd
take to wide it clean with a cloth, it seems expansive to me.  Furthemore,
isn't it a waste of energy?  Ok, ok, it's a detail, but it does use
electricity for cleaning, right?  I don't really see the use of wasting
electricity, even  so little, to make a 104$ machine do something we could
do by hand in less time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this thing looks to me like a waste of energy
(in the way that it's useless to develop it IMHO)

Anyway, good luck to you guys with it.  If you can make money out of this,
I'll be happy for you.

Terry