 Trains / 19917
Re: First Third Party product for the LEGO(r) Trains market?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 00:45:56 GMT

The cleaning fluid (in my case, Goo Gone, a citrus-based cleaner) is mainly >deposited on the first go-around.

     Speaking as someone who makes a living off of working with ABS, I
though I should point out that long-term use of citrus-based cleaners will
cause damage to ABS.  Goo-Gone has a relatively low acid content, so it's
less harmful than some industrial citrus-based cleaners, but it will still
dull the shine on the plastic ties of the track.  I know vinegar works great
for cleaning most metals, but for ABS it's even worse than citrus cleaners.
Glass cleaner is usually safe for ABS (we actually use it to clean up after
citrus cleaners which we use to remove black ABS scuffs from non-black ABS
parts), but most of them contain water, and the rust problem has already
been addressed (mebbe you could follow it up with a shot of WD-40?).  Have
you tried rubbing alcohol?  We've never used it at work, so I can't say for
sure that it's harmless to ABS, but it should be safe for the metal tracks.

     Another thing to keep in mind is that many cleaning agents (especially
citrus "degreasers") will strip any protective oil treatment from the metal,
greatly increasing the likelihood of surface rust in a humid environment.
You might want to consider swabbing afterwards with something to prevent
rusting.  Or maybe reserving a pad for the track-cleaning car to fill that
duty...