 Trains / 19908
Re: First Third Party product for the LEGO(r) Trains market?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 21:37:04 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Terry Prosper writes:
My first post. after re-reading it, sounds a bit too harsh.

Rick Clark explained to me in a friendly email that my "writing style has
the tendency to come across that way [condescending and dismissive]".  I'm
really sorry for that.  I know I'm repeating myself here, and maybe people
will think it's an excuse, but English is not my natural language, so I
often write in a blunt style.  I realize it can hurt people's feelings, so
that's why I want to :

I can't possibly see how your original post was harsh, condescending or
dismissive.  You're just stating your opinion and you should.  The only
person who could be possibly offended is Centerline, and at that, you're
entitled to your opinion about a product--no one should feel we need to
treat this vendor with with kid gloves because they're catering to the Lego
community-if the product isn't thought out well, we should say so.

But this doesn't change my perception of the thing.  I still think it's too
expansive for what it does compared to what can be achived with a little
elbow-oil (I don't know if this expression exists in English, in French,
huile de coude [elbow oil] means hard work, efforts).

I can't see how it's worth $104 USD either:

First, it's not obvious whether or not it actually cleans the part of the
track that needs cleaning (the inside part).  So it's not even clear whether
or not it actually does 100% of the job.

Second, the cost/benefit ratio of doing it by hand and doing it by this
cleaner isn't clear.  For $104 USD, or roughly $150 Canadian, I could pay
some high school student minimum wage to clean track for 21 hours straight.
Does someone here seriously believe this is a good deal?

Calum