 Trains / 19888
Re: First Third Party product for the LEGO(r) Trains market?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 03:36:57 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Pretty exciting news!

This is posted on behalf of BayLTC's David (Zonker) Harris, with his
permission (and request to so post), who related the following to me:

- - - - • <snip>
The first model of this all-brass, limited-slip track cleaning car was run
on the BayLTC display layout (demonstration set-up), and performed very
well. Dick ans Sharon Webster at Centerline worked with me to develop the
the model. • <snip>
The body is their O-gauge product, but it needs extra machining and
milling to fit the LEGO trucks. The price (without trucks) is $104, and can
be ordered! It comes in a padded box, with extra cleaning rollers (which is
a Good Thing, since you can see how dirty our track was by the grey stripes
on the white roller...).
<snip>

As an occasional lurker in .trains and owner of only 4.5V trains myself, my
knowledge of 9V trains is limited, so perhaps someone could correct me if
I'm misunderstanding (or misremembering) ...

I thought that it was a fairly commonly held belief that cleaning 9V track
didn't make much difference to performance. Is this still the consensus view?

Also, I thought that the advantage of 9V was that sprung flanges picked up
the power from the side of the rail... so cleaning the tops of the rail
wouldn't make much difference would it? (Except for nice, shiny rail, of
course. But $104 seems expensive just for shiny rail!).

(Or is the flange picking up power from the inside top edge of the rail
rather than the side?)

Cheers

Richie Dulin