 Trains / 21680
Re: First Third Party product for the LEGO(r) Trains market?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:50:11 GMT

I know I’m late in posting a reply to this, but I just had to speak out. First of all, I’m pleased that the ‘mainstream’ modelling companies/organizations are taking notice of the potential for L-gauge trains (figures they would, since Lego layouts typically win the ‘Best Of Show’ award at many train shows)

However, I am against using a liquid-based cleaner for use on 9V track, although I used the Centerline cleaner on an N scale layout I took care of while in Japan years ago, with much success.

But there are many differences between Lego 9V track/power pickup/wheels and traditional HO or N scale.

1. With Lego, you have traction tires on the motors...whereas any respectable manufacturer of HO/N scale equipment today has long since phased them out

2. Model train rails are mostly solid nickel-silver, I do not know exactly what type of metal Lego uses (thin sheet metal?)

3. Plastic wheels leave minute deposits on the railheads (esp. when run at high speed due to the heat generated by friction) Unfortunately there is no way out of this for us Lego modellers unless we run our trains at a slower speed.

4. Use of two or more motors in a single train also aggravates the friction problem (not all motors are created equal)

5. Liquid-based cleaners contain water, which eventually corrodes the sheet metal Lego uses for it’s rails (that includes alcohol as well, as I found out nearly 20 years ago on my first HO layout)

6. There is a popular track cleaning fluid called Rail-Zip (manufactured by Pacer Technologies, I believe), DO NOT even think of using this with your Lego trains, as the oily residue is impossible to remove from your traction tires (I ruined my first motor using this stuff)

7. And of course, we all know that that you never use abrasive stuff on your track either (such as steel wool, sandpaper, etc.) as this leaves tiny scratches that collect dirt and corrodes in no time (not to mention all that metal you’re shaving off playing havoc with the motors and electrical pickup)

What has been my best bet for cleaning track? Regular toilet paper and elbow grease is the best solution. If you have to take an hour before the show to give your track the once-over...so be it. Designate a club member to do this each morning (preferably on a rotating basis, as we all need the experience IMHO) Can’t fit your hand through tunnels and bridges? No problem...that’s what tiles are for (i.e. make the tops of your tunnels and bridges removable)

Dusting the track area after such a cleaning helps also.

-HRH