 Trains / 18463 (-100)
  Train poster spotted.....

Check out one of the latest ISCC2 entries, the 'Künstlerscheune' (artists shed): (URL) we learn at last, where the 1592 monument comes from and that artists may be train fans .... The whole gallery can be found here: (URL) Regards, Ben (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: NovaLUG 2nd Show (Dartmouth)

Hello again, I forgot to mention that I motorized all the switches for the train yard. Nothing fancy, like no mindstorms involved, but I built 5 different version to test and they worked well for the display, because they would have been hard to (...) (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.events, lugnet.announce, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.ca.ns, lugnet.loc.ca)

  Track designer .... where is the source code ...

Again I would like to know what the status is concerning the source code of Track Designer. A few months ago there was a large discussion on this ... Guido (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50

(...) Funny (...) First time I saw this 'system' used as key bricks has been with 1x1x0.33 rectangle plates. My friend Frank 'Pudie' Abel (last years ISCC winner) did that more than 2 years before. (URL) the red building. Those have not been (...) (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50

(...) Thanks for saying so, Harvey. I'll pass along the high praise! -John (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50

(...) But of course! He reads every response and is very grateful for all of the compliments. Even though he is getting to the age where he could participate in LUGNET, the fact is that this kind of venue doesn't have much appeal to him. He's a (...) (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50

Since he has no activity here on Lugnet, posting wise, I sure hope he at least gets to see these encouraging responses. Ross, you have a telent!!! I cannot believe the models you have created at such a young age. Being fairly inexperienced in (...) (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50

Incredible, and has handrails too...you've really outdone yourself on this one. The best EMD rendered in LEGO® I've seen yet! -Harvey (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50

(...) ha:-) Actually, after having talked to him about the whole idea, he said that he had seen something like it at LLC. Anybody recall such a technique used there? -John (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50

(...) Even better. I have no problem taking candy from babies, so why stop just because Ross is a teen? (22 years ago, 21-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50

(...) Awesome MOC. It's really to bad I had to pack my LEGO away or I would be copying and learning from it right now. The fans are brilliant. Is there stiff wire in the tubing? -chris ps. great bridge as well! (22 years ago, 20-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50

(...) Please do get some shots. Custom trucks are a big interest of mine. Until we get to see the pics, how did he mount the wheelsets to the truck. Do the trucks (that is couplers) work out to a standard height- all of my attempts end up a little (...) (22 years ago, 20-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50

(...) Whoa, pardner-- it was *Ross's* idea, not mine! :-) -John (22 years ago, 20-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50

(...) I'd call it "one and a half" :-) (...) But I would posit that those were done for the lighting effect rather than for the keystone arch simulation as John did (which, by the way, is REALLY neat.... gonna have to crib it.) (22 years ago, 20-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50

(...) There's at least one (two?), 6376 Breezeway Cafe and 10037 Breezeway Cafe, seen here in the instructions: (URL) (22 years ago, 20-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50

(...) You are such a steamhead;-) (...) Actually, Ben, those are 1x4 green bricks on their side, to simulate the door openings -- in true SNOT form:-D (...) It might have had something to do with the actual angle itself -- I'll mention it to him. (...) (22 years ago, 20-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50

(...) lol It doesn't matter if you are a newbie or James Mathis-- it means a lot! I sure Ross will be gratified by your kind words! (...) Yes, they are hands. This is a modified technique that was begun by Dan Siskind of the GMLTC when he used (...) (22 years ago, 20-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  NovaLUG 2nd Show (Dartmouth)

Hey folks, Our fledgling NovaLUG is proud to announce the successful completion of our second public event. We were invited to participate in the Dartmouth Model Train & Hobby Show on November 16th in the Dartmouth Sportsplex. We couldn't have asked (...) (22 years ago, 20-Nov-02, to lugnet.events, lugnet.announce, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.ca.ns, lugnet.loc.ca) !

  Re: Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50

(...) I'll bet you are responding to the straight side shot: (URL) admit that that is probably the least flattering pose for that MOC for the very reason you mentioned-- locked-in wheelbase for the motor unit. Ross built this train to *run*, but (...) (22 years ago, 20-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50

(...) Nice train (I'm not quite there yet with trains....getting there, but not quite there yet...still need to simmer & saute a few more times). Now, the bridge: I have been trying to get that 'look' (of the stones) for the longest time. I have had (...) (22 years ago, 20-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50

(...) Very impressive model. Of course building it 8 wide and making it proportionally long (to match the width) highlights the limitations of using a fixed wheelbase motor I guess. Those trucks seem out of proportion to the rest of the model (too (...) (22 years ago, 20-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50

(...) and (...) is no steam engine this time). He caught so many small structures - I am really amazed. I like the idea with the lots of 1x4 tiles in green on the side of the loco. Gives a cool effect. There is nothing to criticize at all, but if I (...) (22 years ago, 20-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50

(...) Hi John, WOW! As a newbie of sorts my first jaw-dropping response to a LEGO train was seeing Ross's Pacific 4-6-2. A while back you hinted that Ross had a proto freight deisel in the works and I've been periodically returning to Ross's (...) (22 years ago, 20-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50

Well, it was quite a building year for Ross-- he turned 13 a few weeks back and this MOC was the last thing he built before becoming a <shudder> teenager: (URL) entered it into Rene's building contest. There are so many amazing things he did in this (...) (22 years ago, 20-Nov-02, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains) !!

  Re: New MOC: VW-beetle

(...) Thanks for the praise, Jan Albert! I have now made up the model in ML-CAD and it is my first CAD model ever: (URL) to Jaco van der Molen, who teached me in Zwolle how to work in ML-CAD. (...) Nice idea. But I fear it will be hard to build a (...) (22 years ago, 20-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.nl)

  Re: Working for the next rtlToronto project! Updating my trains!

(...) I hear you. I've had to put the small black elastics in the magnets to ensure they don't uncouple. (...) Very nice! Good show! Nice to see fellow Canadian's hard at work! Dean (22 years ago, 20-Nov-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains)

  Re: New MOC: VW-beetle // Was: - the Swedish high speed train

(...) VW cars ever, together with the Polo. Hmmm... maybe I should have a go at the entire VW range over the years, might be fun. After going from 6- to 8-wide in trains, going to 6-wide in cars might work just as inspiring (never ever built any (...) (22 years ago, 19-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Working for the next rtlToronto project! Updating my trains!

Inspired by the awesome creation here: (URL) revamped my 3 diesel engines. First I tried to attach the stairs to the chassis, as above, but I found the magnet holders stick too far out, and if you have 3 engines in a row, the arms holding the (...) (22 years ago, 19-Nov-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains)

  Re: New MOC: VW-beetle // Was: - the Swedish high speed train

(...) You are right, it is to far back, but a full stud to the front is even worse: I tried that yesterday in the evening.... :-( Maybe a solution with a half stud might work perfectly? Not easy to build, but surly worth to give it a trial. But the (...) (22 years ago, 19-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New MOC: X2000 - the Swedish high speed train

(...) Indeed. (...) Cute. Try moving the windshield one stud forward, though... (22 years ago, 19-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) Oh, did you mean the signal box roof? Well, you'll be able to do black ones soon, at least. (...) Thanks for the comments 'Brian', but, er, who's this "James" guy? ;-) Jason J Railton (22 years ago, 19-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: New MOC: X2000 - the Swedish high speed train

(...) I think it only depends on the inside: the wall itself will be highly fragile this way, but if you put enough bricks into the model and connect roof and base with center-stud plates, then it gets heavy but really sturdy. Klaus Dobisch did this (...) (22 years ago, 19-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Second NGLTC Children's hospital LEGO building session

This past weekend the North Georgia LEGO Train Club (NGLTC) completed it's second LEGO ornament building session at the Children's Hospital of Atlanta (CHOA). Children (and adults) were given the opertunity to come play with the bricks and make some (...) (22 years ago, 19-Nov-02, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org) !

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) Hello Larry. The red building is not a station at all - in fact it's a model of the STEAM museum itself with glass curtain-walling to the front elevation combined with a traditional old brick construction. I've not seen any pics from the front (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) Right. But I meant which building on the layout was the model layout located within. Someone else answered that it was the red station connected by the blue pedestrian bridge. I did read about STEAM and all that earlier. Thanks and congrats (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: New MOC: X2000 - the Swedish high speed train

(...) partially connected studs as you have here is that the models tend to be very fragile. (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New MOC: X2000 - the Swedish high speed train

(...) I have just posted two ldraw-pictures on Brickshelf which I hope will explain the construction of the windows. Thanks for the interest and all kind remarks about my model Mattias (URL) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thomas' Annie, Claribel; and some Troublesome Trucks

"John" <John@TCLTC.org> wrote in message news:H5sDBL.Lyz@lugnet.com... [ ... snipped ... ] (...) and (...) What I actually said was "I have a pile of Yoda rust colored bricks on my table waiting to be made into Annie and Clarabel". ;-) I too have (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) layout in (...) The Museum is in the former Great Western Railway (GWR*) works in Swindon, where many Steam locomotives were built in the heydays of steam, for more information have a look at the STEAM museum website, (URL) BR days the works (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

Thanks Robert. The roof is made of clear thinwalls, as available from S@H. There are 16 packs' worth in it = 400 clear elements. Some time ago, I noticed how the thinwalls have a tendency to curve, and I immediately thought of a station roof. It (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Several new MOCs...

(...) I did remove the seperate b-box to the light in order to decrease the weight, that seems to have helped a bit. I also discovered that the first driver wouldn't line up correctly and was binding, so I took out the connecting gear and it moves a (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New MOC: X2000 - the Swedish high speed train

Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre@nbi.dk> wrote in message news:H5sEt8.3I0@lugnet.com... (...) Are (...) Once I read some information about the X2000 (and X2001, then never version, but runs under the X2000 name). The engine does not tilt, only the (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Several new MOCs...

Stephan, Looks great. Have you made any changes to the operating machinery on the steamer? There seemed to be intermittent problems at the last show? Did you narrow that down to mechanical or electrical or whatever. I imagine you could borrow some (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Several new MOCs...

Hi all! Finally got around to posting pics of my Greenbrier, Streamliners, and flat cars, plus some shots of my whole "narrow-gaugish" train so far. Shorty Flat Cars (designed to go with my Porter): (URL) Instructions: (URL) train: (URL) (their own (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.announce.moc) !

  Re: Thomas' Annie, Claribel; and some Troublesome Trucks

(...) Some time ago I posited a rule of thumb... "Every show layout needs a Thomas"... I'm wondering if it's time to extend it? :-) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) include this little beauty <drool>: (URL) James' dark red Fowler and Caerphilly Castle Loco. But really it all looks great, and nice venue, too:-) -John (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thomas' Annie, Claribel; and some Troublesome Trucks

(...) You know, the actual faces on Annie and Claribel are pretty simplistic-- just black marks for their faces and nothing more (no relief as for Thomas). I was going to create some detailed ones and print them out on clear stickers. I'll have to (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New MOC: X2000 - the Swedish high speed train

(...) It certainly is. (although I would like some close-ups of the windows - I am not sure I understand the explanation of how they were made) (...) It is a part of the tilt mechanism. They are actually hydraulic cylinders for tilting the cars. If (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thomas' Annie, Claribel; and some Troublesome Trucks

(...) Yup, they are brown. I built them as a last minute thing for our GATS show. I just used what was available at the time. I had enough kids at the show recognize them to make it worth just keeping them the way they are. For me its just the (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

"Simon Bennett" <simon.bennett@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:H5sBu3.HoK@lugnet.com... (...) That was Chris Dee's. It is truly excellent, and Chris will be LDraw-ing it in the near future (eh, Chris... :-) ) Huw (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:H5s0F8.90M@lugnet.com... (...) I think I can say that a good time was had by all. It was my first participation in such an event, and I loved it. I can't wait for the next one! (...) (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

Just to follow up on this, we made the local press see, (URL) this free advertisiong and Lego didn't even send us some catalogues. We lost count of the number we could have given out. Mark (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thomas' Annie, Claribel; and some Troublesome Trucks

(...) enough Yoda brown (which is almost dead-on correct for color matching them) to build mine. As far as I know, the 1x1, 1x6, and 1x8 burnt orange brick didn't even come out until the recently released Privet Drive set. So start pounding the (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thomas' Annie, Claribel; and some Troublesome Trucks

(...) Yea, yea! You may have posted yours first, but I bet I built mine first! :p (URL) LEGO Reference (URL) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) Who built the tamper? (URL) superb! My boss, who used to be a P-way engineer, thought it was a real one when saw it from across the office! (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Pictures and Movies from NELUG Greenberg show 11/17/02

(...) The link for 'Next' at the bottom of page 2 still points to: (URL) of: (URL) pictures by the way. Looks like a great show. I really like the tan plate building construction. Many cool building designs that I will have to steal some ideas from. (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Pictures and Movies from NELUG Greenberg show 11/17/02

(...) Thanks Ben, I did this very late last night and obviously missed updating a few links. They should be fixed now and I have also included a Track Designer image of the basic layout for those that might be interested. The track layout is the (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) Absolutely brilliant! I particularly liked the old time locomotive (early 4.5V?) with a layout in front of it... great vignette, and a nice goof on where you were. What building was that in? Lots of good British steam too. Looks like another (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) I suspect the roof brick mix has come about by Brad taking the opportunity to extend the production runs for next year's sets (which of course none of us have seen, so wouldn't know that they are used extensively :) I like the idea of a mixed (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: MOC: "Trolley", from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood

That SOO LINE SW model really tops it all for me there John, spectacular to say the least. -Harvey (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) Ok, partly the same here, but Pferde-Apfel (horse-apple) is by far more common.... [tan train windows] (...) I would suggest even a colour mix pack. I need more than tan windows, but in my eyes it is impossible to ask for 8 new train window (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  RLD 2003 'was GWLTS photos'

Little more info about the 2003 advents (...) it (...) Clip from the RLD Book LEGOLAND A Monster Model Making treat for LEGO Fans (...) A Fantastic day at LEGOLand for one child (aged between 8 and 16) and one 'observing' adult, including four hours (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) carriages with clear panels and tan plates above and below (the dining car still does), but changed them over for the display. Can we persuade LD to make these as a service pack, do you think? Anyway, the structure of the RLD has changed for (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) That's Tony Priestman's station. They're made from 1x4x3 clear panels bought in bulk 25 at a time. If you've ever tried to use them as train windows you'll know they tend to develop a slight inward curvature that misaligns the top studs, so I (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) [snip] (...) layout very much: the sparks: (URL) 'apples' (do you call them apples in English as well?) (URL) I 'hate' the red letter days in Windsor... I would love to have these tan windows myself. So far I only saw them in the German (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Pictures and Movies from NELUG Greenberg show 11/17/02

(...) Wow, those are impressing pictures! I liked this joke most of all: (URL) ;-) Reminded me of the temperature test I did on some Lego-Bricks a while ago... (**) But there are some problems with the links on your pages: at least on page two the (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train that runs on tires.

"Mike Walsh" <mike_walsh@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:H5qI98.C9z@lugnet.com... (...) runway) (...) But Innovia is weird. It looks a bit like an unhappy toaster traversing a roadway made of biscuits. *sigh* and AirTrain used to be painted a (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

Excellent layout! I really like this train station: (URL) the roof made of? Robert Powell SCLTC (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: MOC: "Trolley", from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood

(...) King Friday says, "why does my robe smell like an odor-eater? -John (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: MOC: "Trolley", from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood

(...) Now, do you have some puppets and a sweater you can wear while it's running on the layout? (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  MOC: "Trolley", from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood