 Trains / 18367
Re: New MOC: 4-4-4 Steam Engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 23:31:12 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Stefan Garcia writes:

Thanks for the comments, Stefan.

Great steamer!  I've three suggestions though;  a) the tender (IMO) would
look better if it were slightly elongated and if the slopeback were given a
bit more texture.  It doesn't fit in with the rest of the loco.  b) (again,
IMO) the tender needs a backup light.  c) IMO, the tender would look more
realistic with two 2-axle trucks.  If you based this feature on a certain
tender design though, I'd love to see it (curiosity, not sarcasm).

Hmmm, methinks the tender is the Achilles tendon?  ;)  Actually, I spent very
little time on the tender itself, throwing it together in about 90 minutes.
All of your suggestions are good ones - I'm not a huge fan of the three-axle
design I cam up with, though it works okay.  I especially don't like the large
space between the tender and the engine.  A couple of other problems arose when
I worked on it:

For example, the tender needs to house the train motor, which has a three-stud
spacing between the wheels.  Everytime I tried to incorporate another wheelset,
the tender started looking large compared to the engine.  I might be able to
pull something off, with the train motor in the center and another axle on each
end.  Having the motor on one end, though, and somethingsymmetric on the other
made it waaaayyy too long.

A back-up light, eh?  Hmmmm, that's a good idea.

And to address your last thought ... it's not based on anything in real life.
I was basically looking for the shortest distance between a pile of bricks and
a servicable tender ... definitely an area that can use some work!

Thanks again for the comments.

-s

Cool steamers!

-Stefan-