 Trains / 18452
Re: Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 23:03:02 GMT

John wrote:
I'll admit that that is probably the least flattering pose for that MOC for the
very reason you mentioned-- locked-in wheelbase for the motor unit.  Ross built
this train to *run*, but know that if he were creating a static display, he
would have abandoned the motors in a NYM and created his own trucks.  I know
this because I just finished building some Gunderson Maxi-stack III container
cars and needed custom trucks for them (the LEGO ones were too high and they
rubbed).  I built some, Ross saw them, built his own version of my version, and
now I am using *his* version, and will use his version on *all* of our TCLTC
rolling stock.  I will have to get some shots of them-- they are really nice.

Please do get some shots.  Custom trucks are a big interest of mine.
Until we get to see the pics, how did he mount the wheelsets to the
truck.  Do the trucks (that is couplers) work out to a standard height-
  all of my attempts end up a little low.

He did, at one point, look at somehow attaching gears to train wheels he had
pulled out of the holders, but I don't know what came of that.

Last time I was at my parents house I was looking at an old 'Stomper'
toy monster truck and got to thinking that there must be some sort of
custom gear one could fashion onto the axle.  Maybe a 8tooth technic
gear could be drilled out and a bushing inserted that then could be
drilled to fix the metal axle.  Or better yet, crain wheels that fit on
Technix axles- that would be cool.

-chris