 Trains / 18464
Re: Ross Neal's ISCC Contest entry: BN EMD GP-50
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:35:33 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Tracey writes:

Awesome MOC.  It's really to bad I had to pack my LEGO away or I would
be copying and learning from it right now.  The fans are brilliant.  Is
there stiff wire in the tubing?

Hey Chris-

It must be hard to have the collection packed away-- how do you ignore their
voices calling out to you at night? ;-)

To answer your question, yes, there is wire in the tubing.  I discovered a few
years back when building a 14 wide that regular housewire fits like a glove
inside it, and it allows bending and holds the form nicely.  Here is a pic of
my first use of it:

A sharp 90 degree turn is still difficult however.

I'll pass along the compliment to Ross, and work on getting his truck
photographed for you.  I can say that he decided to use the 2x2 black plate
with little wheels (old-style, with the metal axle).  I had utilized the 1x2
rail piece as I had seen done (by you, perhaps?).  Although his method requires
completely destroying the element by remove the wheels, the remaining 2x2
plate's holes are the perfect gauge for the axle.

We are just about to test them, having procured enough parts to build them, so
I will be posting those results as well.  I already know that the wheels don't
spin as freely as the standard LEGO wheels, but those are designed quite
remarkabley.  I have shown them to model railroaders, and they are invariabley
impressed because they are not accustomed to such a frictionless design.

-John