 Trains / *19915 (-100)
  Re: How's this for an idea ...

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message ... (...) VLC did this for the first time last weekend, and the kids loved it. We'll make it a little easier next time, though, there were some things on there (eg the water cooler) that many kids didn't even know (...) (22 years ago, 13-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Kindergardeners help out the NGLTC

To day local kindergarteners helped out the North Georgia LEGO Train Club by making ornaments to decorate our tree at this years Children's Healthcare of Atlanta's Festival of Trees. The children are students at Matt Elementary school in Forsyth (...) (22 years ago, 13-Nov-02, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: How's this for an idea ...

(...) We find that people will spend quite a bit of time looking for everything on the list and will ask about things they can't find. The kids are especially excited to find Spiderman or Yoda. We also put some extra things on just for ourselves! (...) (22 years ago, 13-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: How's this for an idea ...

(...) Search and find in other ways as well: (URL) J-3 talks about his incorporation of a dragon head into the side of (you guessed it) Dragon Mountain... (J-3 to a tot: "Do you know *why* we call it "Dragon Mountain"?)-- just another fun little (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Scales and Gauges (was Shay #5

(...) Well, yes, saying merely "G" certainly opens up a can of worms since, as you mentioned, many scales utilize gauge 1 track. Scaling at 1:24 would simulate 30" I believe. But your point illustrates that, while there is much precision among some (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: How's this for an idea ...

(...) What is that one? Shaun makes a Guinness vanish? :-) Oh, you said TRUCK, not trick.... the #4 item threw me off a bit, what can I say? It should be noted that MichLTC has done these lists, for fun, the last couple of shows. We print them on (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org)

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message ... (...) 3 (...) Now I'm nitpicking :-).... there is one good fit for 3 feet, which is TTN3 using the Brit scale for TT of 3mm to the foot: N gauge 9mm track fits perfectly. I used to build Isle of Man Railway to (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Scales and Gauges (was Shay #5

(...) Noted and apology accepted. However for ME to know what you're talking about, it's first required for YOU to know what you're talking about. And that's a leap of faith I am not prepared to take without some supporting evidence. :-) (1) Next (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: SCLTC at Cal Stewart Show in Pasadena, California!

Again great layout guys! So much don't know where to start. I love that the base layout was created and now you guys are detailing. There's a lot of mileage in that approach. And the San Diego Model Railroad Museum (SDMRM) in San Diego’s Balboa Park (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains.org.scltc)

  Re: Scales and Gauges (was Shay #5

G uses O, O uses HO, and HO uses N, (...) gauge). G uses what? G in this context is of metre gauge anyway...gauge 1 uses O (SM32), but not for 3' gauge. G is #3 scale, on #1 scale track (or 1/2" to the foot on 1.75" gauge...)-at least, that is what (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train that runs on tires.

(...) I thought that too, when I saw this creation. It is a very annoying ride. I came across two links that describes the new "Automated People Mover" at DFW: (2 URLs) refer to the new APM that DFW's building to connect the new terminals to the old (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Scales and Gauges (was Shay #5

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek writes: <snip> Okay, okay. I was wrong thinking 0n3 meant 30" (dropping the "0"), but what fouled me up was your initial incorrect correction: Me: sort of like the popular scale On3, where you'd model in O scale (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?

(...) Oops. That should be the long leg and the hypoteneuse. John (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?

(...) What does work is 1-13-3. It's close enough that Track Designer will consider it a closed loop. You can turn it into a triangle with a 5-13-7-12-4-5 pattern (starting with curves and alternating with straights). Then it's easy enough to see (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Scales and Gauges (was Shay #5

(...) No, John. If you'd pay attention you'd learn something. The 3 means 3 FEET or 36 inches. NOT 30. This would be the third or fourth time you've been told that, and not just by me either (Jeff C is exactly correct). (...) And subsequent ones... (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Shay #5

(...) I thought that when numbers like this were used for narrow gauge they were in reference to the gauge of the rails in feet? As in On3 for 3 feet or 36" gauge while On2&1/2 was two and a half feet or 30" gauge. I've also heard of On2, but never (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Shay #5

(...) Ah, well, you lost me. I never said anything about 36"; the "3" in On3 is short for 30"... Actually, I was shooting from the hip in my initial post-- I just found that link after your post-- weren't you blathering something about HOn3? :-) (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  AdeLUG's #5 - Write up

Here is the write up for the Adelaide LEGO Users Group meeting #5 It can also be found at the AdeLUG's website: (URL) - AdeLUG's #5, Sunday 10 November 2002 THEME - Moonbase Project VENUE - Holdfast Bay Community Centre, Hove (about 20mins (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.loc.au.sa.ade, lugnet.castle, lugnet.fabuland, lugnet.space, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains)

  Re: NGLTC Greenberg show pictures

(...) They were available in service packs, you'd get 8 concave (inner corner), 8 convex (outer corner), some top pieces (double sided slopes), and some regular slopes. These packes were great, too bad they don''t sell them anymore. As soon as they (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

"James Seibert" <james@vci.net> wrote in message news:H5G0AK.53D@lugnet.com... (...) in (...) [ ... snipped ... ] A couple of years ago LEGO released service pack 5216: (URL) was still available up until three or four months ago as I recall. I wish (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: NGLTC Greenberg show pictures

After being inspired and awed by the train engines, I noticed the houses in the picture below. (URL) did you find all the black corner roof pieces for the houses in this picture? "Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Train that runs on tires.

Hi, Here is a page with some good prototype information: (URL) top of the page is the history of the system, the bottom shows the current implementation (including what happens if a tire runs flat...). Greetings, David (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?

(...) The 1-11-3 design isn't very close at all, according to Track Designer. Here's what I did: straight, curve right, 11 straights (5 switches and a straight, but that is equivalent), 3 curves right, cross-track. Then from the cross-track, a bunch (...) (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?

(...) This is very interesting... Is there a similar formula for a dog-leg? 1 curve, X straights, 1 curve the other way? What equations/formulae would you use to compute this? It's been way too many years since I studied trigonometry... --Bill. (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Shay #5

Hey that's really nice, I like the details. Eric (22 years ago, 12-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?

(...) Since a couple people commented on this one I figured I'd mention that over the weekend I came up with a "folded-figure-eight" that avoids the use of points on the inner loop but still fits on my table: (URL) it requires one more curved track (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train that runs on tires.

(...) I think there are other airport transport systems which also use tired vehicles. (...) I seem to remember seeing pictures of the Paris subways with tires. If I'm recalling right, they had horizontal tires also which run against the walls of a (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Shay #5

(...) I stand corrected. The shays at Cass are indeed standard guage. (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What a great time this is!

Steve Barile wrote in message ... (...) oppisite (...) VLC was showing this weekend, too, at the local NMRA chapter yearly show (Trains 2002) in the Vancouver area. We haven't posted new pictures since it was the same layout as we showed at (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Train that runs on tires.

(...) Hmmm, The subway system in Paris France has trains that run on tires. I was rather supprised when I saw them. I don't remember exactly how they stayed on the track though. From what I understand the paris subway has several different styles of (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Shay #5

(...) One quibble on the above statement: Shays were also used on standard gauge, in fact, many of the larger shays ran on standard gauge. The Cass Scenic Railway is standard gauge. Frank (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train that runs on tires.

Interesting idea. It reminds me of the airport train in Dallas TX, not really a train, more of a automated bus running on a hotwheels track. It is a rough ride for sure. jt (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains)

  Re: NGLTC Greenberg show pictures

(...) offset in the gray-top of the nose: (URL) general, thanks for posting all the photos. Excellent pics of excellent MOCs. later, James Mathis (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Train that runs on tires.

A while back at a rtlToronto dinner a bunch of us were looking through new catalogs when we came across the new Racers sets. I think many in the group had a similar thought but Iain was the first to vocalize it. Wouldn't it be cool to make a train (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SCLTC at Cal Stewart Show in Pasadena, California!

The second batch of pictures have been merged with the first, so you will need to go through all 125 of them to catch the 56 new ones posted on Sunday. Note the inner sanctum of the layout (picture 123) which is not visible from outside the layout (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains.org.scltc)

  Re: What a great time this is!

(...) Umm... TWO in Canada- VLC also was displaying at Trains2002- I know, 'cause I was there! James P (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: What a great time this is!

(...) Plus one in Canada! (URL) that cool or what? (...) You got that right! And it just keeps getting better and better... (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Legoworld 2002 - a brief review (and a longer one)

Hi Ben, When I red your story I can only say one sentence: I've missed a lot. This year I haven't visited the event after a more or less bad experience last year because of the entrance tickets. Maybe that was the reason I didn't showed up. Well, (...) (22 years ago, 10-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.be, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.loc.it)

  Re: SCLTC at Cal Stewart Show in Pasadena, California!

More pictures have been added to the site! There are now 125 images of our mountain layout. - Thomas (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains.org.scltc)

  What a great time this is!

This is so great! 2 wonderful shows back to back (SCLTC & NGLTC) on oppisite coasts. Actually there are shows all the time now! Boy these are the days! SteveB (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: NGLTC Greenberg show pictures

(...) striping on the windshield as it worked out nicely! Digging those other two UP diesels too. One seems vaguely Alcoish (the one with the rounded cab roof and nose) while the other seems more EMDish (the one with the sloped cab roof and nose). (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains)

  NGLTC Greenberg show pictures

The NGLTC had a great time at the Atlanta Greenberg Toy & Train show this past weekend. We had quite a turn out of fine Train MOCs from club members: Lewis showed off his new Shay #5: (URL) had his Big Boy (not sure the version, I've lost count :) (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.ga, lugnet.loc.us.ga.atl) !

  Re: Shay #5

(...) while we're nitpicking, c /pouring/poring/ (1) (...) You need to read what you cite more carefully before you decide you should cite from it, because it pretty clearly says that what was once known as On2-1/2, and is NOW On30 is 30". Hence (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Shay #5

(...) hehe scale is a fun thing:-) (...) Now technically speaking (no pun intended), to use regular LEGO track gauge as narrow gauge (say 30"), you'd have to assume a technic fig to be 5 feet high and you'd actually have to build 18 wide to achieve (...) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Shay #5

(...) Nope. See: (URL) (22 years ago, 11-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Monorail MOC's - An Update

Thanks to various BrickLink suppliers, these are now "rendered in ABS" (...) (URL)and to make a single chassis Airport Shuttle (URL) (22 years ago, 10-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Shay #5

(...) I think you meant 36", as 30" would be On2-1/2... (and is, I believe, what use of N gauge track in HO scale is called, HOn2-1/2) see: (URL) for more info on HOn2 1/2 or HOn30 as it it sometimes called) (22 years ago, 10-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Shay #5

(...) You are correct, i really don't try to achieve "minfig scale" with just about any trains i build. I try to keep the train in scale with itself. This usually means using the wheels as my constant and working from there. (i am sure many of you (...) (22 years ago, 10-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  SCLTC at Cal Stewart Show in Pasadena, California!

We've done another show! (And it's still happening!) On November 9-10, 2002, the Southern California LEGO Train Club displayed their mountain layout at the Cal Stewart show in Pasadena, California. (Wait a second... today's the 9th, so why am I (...) (22 years ago, 10-Nov-02, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.trains.org.scltc, lugnet.trains, lugnet.town, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.ca.la) !

  Metroliner stickers

I have just obtained the new Metroliner stickers and they are different from the original Metroliner stickers. They come with 4 stickers of red/white/blue bands - maybe to stick on the grey doors. Has the new Metroliner just got grey doors with no (...) (22 years ago, 9-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dream rails

gianluca morelli <moebiusring@yahoo.it> wrote in message news:20021107225839....hoo.com... (...) [snip] (...) European cars are shorter than 26 meters, they go by the UIC-505 standard, which sets a maximum lenght of 24 meters (and standard height (...) (22 years ago, 9-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Shay #5

(...) Wonderful MOC, Lewis-- great attention to details! As I was pouring over your pics, it struck me that you have cleverly built past minifig scale to around 1:29. Though you are 8 wide, Shays were a little over 9 feet wide. Also, Shays ran on (...) (22 years ago, 9-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Shay #5

(...) Very cool to have ridden the real thing. later, James Mathis (22 years ago, 9-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Shay #5

Here are some pictures to my new Shay #5 Shay #5 is modeled after Shay #5 at Cass Scenic Railroad, Cass West Virginia She is one of the oldest running shay engines, and still carries tourist half way up a mountain. I got to see her in person, did (...) (22 years ago, 9-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc) !!

  Re: Dream rails

(...) Jewler's saw, dremel, 5 min epoxy resin, small (18 watt Antax in my case) soldering iron, 60/40 solder, liquid flux, a largeish smoothish file (I use a 10" lathe file that is handy...you want a reasonably smooth file, not a bastard (1), a 2x8 (...) (22 years ago, 9-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dream rails

In (...) I _think_ that it can be done for rather less than what Lego is quoting, but it would require some special conversion pieces. IIRC, in the mid 80's, GEM (a UK model railway co) and the TT society made a track base mold for TT for ~1000 UKP. (...) (22 years ago, 9-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: I want to expand my track layout

(...) Hello Jonathan- Personally, I enjoy watching a train run along the longest straight possible, so my advice would be to just keep adding as many straights as you have room. Currently, I am of the KISS mindset for train track layouts (Keep It (...) (22 years ago, 9-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: I want to expand my track layout

(...) It's ultimately up to how much space you have, what your budget it, and what you want to do. I recommend playing with Track Designer to get a few interesting layouts you'd like to build that fit in your space and then trying to find a (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?

(...) If you're trying to keep things squared up, the two magic numbers are 7 and 11. which is to say, a corner that keeps straights lined up with the normal Lego geometry can be one of 3 things: 4 curves 1 curve, 11 straights, 3 curves 2 curves, 7 (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?

(...) Really clever! I purchased an HO sample layout book, and spent some time with Track Designer trying to convert them into similar versions with Lego track. The 30-degree crossovers were the hardest to figure out how to emulate. These sorts of (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  I want to expand my track layout

Currently I have all the track from my 4561 plus 1 pack straight track. What track should I buy next to get the most "bank for my buck" when it comes to expanding my layout and making it bigger (given that its something I only setup when I am (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dream rails

(...) FEBRUARY ?? Geez! While I appreciate wanting a nice live audience for a public unveiling, couldn't you at least snap a few pics for us and whip up a brief post? I've been wondering if these kind of mods have been tried before, and what methods (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dream rails

Very nice work Gianluca: Couple of comments: I don't know how big of an issue it is to people, but one element that needs to be considered is tie spacing. According to my numbers, your 56 stud radius, 22.5 degree curve track has about 2.40 studs of (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Lime/Green railcar set

(...) UK DMU including the line that runs it! Nice work Simon! (...) Agreed but this isn't the group for that. My suggestion is to drop Kevin a note or post to <mumble>... um, I'm not sure where exactly. lugnet.publish I think. Good luck. (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Lime/Green railcar set

Awesome! Thanks for the reference and links! Unfortunately it's not exactly the same MOC. I liked it more with only small fuzy picture to go from. :) Maybe I'll revist the nose. And I did try yellow doors and they just didn't look right. Perhaps it (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Lime/Green railcar set

(...) see here for link, (URL) come in other colours and as two cars as well The model is actually a Bachman 00 scale model (4mm/foot) rather than HO (3.5mm/foot) Tim (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?

(...) Thanks Larry, I know I could have done something prettier with the spurs but I had to limit myself to the track that came with the MOT kit, plus the cross-track kit, plus one set of points. I've since found a slightly different arrangement of (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Lime/Green railcar set

(...) Indeed it is British. It's a Class 158 DMU in Central Trains livery. Psi (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Lime/Green railcar set

I meant to make that a deep link oops... (URL) have been working on the cad file and every time I upload the folder goes off line into "not trusted" mode again. <rant> I still don't understand why there can't be trusted up loaders. One offence and (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Lime/Green railcar set

(...) Um, never mind. 1. you never said you had a real life, real life version. 2. it cleared. so Neeeeever minnnnd! (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A couple of new MOCs & site update

(...) <grin> ... you can call it anything you like! Who's to say you're wrong? But *I*'d call it a drop center flat or depressed center flat. The trafo model you refer to might have been James's Maerklin(tm) inspired one, or maybe my Lionel(tm) (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Lime/Green railcar set

(...) M. could tell better than I could, though. The real life real life pic hadn't cleared last time I checked, can you give a DeepLink(tm) to it too? Thanks! (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  A couple of new MOCs & site update

I've added a new caboose, inspired by Christopher Masi's work, and something I'm calling a low bed until I get corrected. Any input is appreciated. (URL) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Lime/Green railcar set

"...is this model freelance or of a particular prototype?" -Lar I'm not sure... I found this pic on a web site, I think it's an HO model. Real life version (HO anyway): (URL) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?

Thanks for the great follow up, Paul. (...) I wanted to comment on this one in particular because it's particularly devious! It REALLY stretches what's possible and shows a good understanding of the compact crossover geometry relationships. Nice (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?

Brian, (...) Couldn't agree more!!! (...) What Larry has done here works because of the fundamental idea described for the compact cross-over at the bottom of this page: (URL) you have two opposite curves joined together you can replace them with a (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?

(...) See the resources in the header of the newsgroup, in particular the .tdl layouts available at the train depot. Doodle your design in Track Designer to see if it works first and you'll reduce your frustration. Now to your particular question, (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Getting diagonal track to line up properly?

(...) It's pretty much impossible actually. I'd like to be able to just side-step a track in by one straight's length (16 studs) for a layout, but the only way to do it with correct geometry is to branch it in with a point and leave the straight-on (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Getting diagonal track to line up properly?

Are there any web pages which have a study of how to line up Lego train layouts with diagonal track? That is, I want a little more freedom in my layout than forcing it to always use ninety-degree curves and parallel/perpendicular tracks, but I've (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dream rails

(...) Interesting idea, but wouldn't that require them to have all the ABS particle-thingys? Though with only 1 color, it might still be workable. Atlas has already made two other scales of track and has been around for over 50 years (I think), so (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Reminder: MonLUG and ParLUGment's joint Train Show this weekend

Hello, I'm proud to announce MonLUG's third and ParLUGment's second participation in a Montreal Area train show. It will be held at Georges-Vanier High School in Laval (just north of Montreal) on Saturday, November9th from 10am to 5pm and Sunday, (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce, lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.ca, lugnet.loc.ca.on.ott, lugnet.loc.ca.qc.mon, lugnet.org.ca.monlug, lugnet.org.ca.parlugment, lugnet.town)

  Re: New Lime/Green railcar set

(...) I'm not sure of modern US nomenclature. In the old days internal combustion self propelled cars were called railcars. Budd brought out a particular implementation that they called the RDC or Rail Diesel Car which I've seen used as an (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dream rails

(...) Good idea - though are we a big enough market even for that? Either way, as Jason S says, they need to get Lego trains in model rail shops. Jason J Railton (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Lime/Green railcar set

(...) Over here it's called a Multiple Unit. Abbreviated to DMU, EMU or DEMU according to the type of power used. Psi (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Promoting our hobby (through greater online presence)

(...) I don't think there's anything to debate! Although it's sort of chicken/egg if the market grows, we'll eventually get better track from somewhere. (LEGO(r), or someone else) As to your idea of ringing in to other rail oriented rings, sounds (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Santa Fe Render

Looks cool Tim. I'll have to get you and Kevin to show me how this works one of these days. Jeff (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad, lugnet.org.ca.parlugment)

  Re: Promoting our hobby (through greater online presence)

Good points Harvey, the more we get the word out the more it legitimizes "L" gauge. As for pictures of the club layouts etc. our works stand on their own. They must blow away model RR'ers that have never seen us at a GATS! SteveB PNLTC (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Lime/Green railcar set

Oh, some specs... Size: 6 studs wide, 44 studs long Special color elements: Each car takes 40 2x4 bricks and 8 1x3 bricks in lime Windows: Main row of windows: SNOT 7x 1x2x2 clear panels (14 in all) Double windows on ends: SNOT 2x 1x2 clear* bricks (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Promoting our hobby (through greater online presence)

We all know how our trains are scene stealers at shows such as GATS and all. Important as it is in spreading the news of our great hobby, we must also reach out to our model railroad friends online as well. I have taken my mediocre site and joined a (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  New Lime/Green railcar set

I'm not sure what a set of three coaches running under their own power is called... Lar? Anyway here are some deep links to a lime green, green, & black livery 3 car set. cab: (URL) consist: (URL) real version: (URL) life version (HO anyway): (URL) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dream rails

...than why not Atlas or some other model RR company produce "L" gauge track. Why not one of us? Why not hand spike "L" gauge track using model RR materials? Lots of out-of-the-box ideas here... The construction criteria for LEGO elements with the (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dream rails

(...) He didn't quote prices, but given how he was talking about the need to make huge quantities for them to earn something, and my own experience in making molds, I'd say at least 50,000 for the 2 curves, not including the assembly stuff to put (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dream rails

(...) What did Brad say the molds would cost? -Jason +---...---+ Jason Spears MichLUG - (URL) Page - (URL) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dream rails

(...) Wow those would be fantastic. Most of us have more curves than we know what to do with, but those would certainly get us salivating. Dream rails indeed, they are delightful. Nice work. -Jason +---...---+ Jason Spears MichLUG - (URL) Page - (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dream rails

(...) Might as well have done 72 as well, ne? (...) Very nice work! I especially liked the switch! (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Dream rails

(...) This would be so cool... just the 56 would already be nice, but having 88 and 104 , either as replacements or additional, would be awesome! Only problem I see is that we'll need a bigger hall at LEGOWorld 2003 for the train layout ;) (...) Now (...) (22 years ago, 7-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Dream rails

Hi guys, I just put on brickshelf some pics of wish-lego-produced-them rails. These images are made from Autocad 14 and exported as bitmap images,then converted to gif images with Photo Editor. (URL) you can see 4 different curves. They all cover a (...) (22 years ago, 7-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  NGLTC displaying at Greenberg Toy & Train show Nov. 9-10, 2002

The North Georgia LEGO Train(NGLTC) will be presenting a layout at the Greenberg Toy & Train show, on November 9-10 at the North Atlanta Trade Center in Norcross Georgia. We will have a 25x30 LEGO layout including our kids play area and of course (...) (22 years ago, 7-Nov-02, to lugnet.org.us.dixielug, lugnet.loc.us.ga.atl, lugnet.loc.us.ga, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: lights and train power supply question

(...) Yes !! I'll go and try it. Now if only Lego would make a speed regulator that was "slightly" less bulky.... Paul (22 years ago, 7-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: lights and train power supply question

(...) If routed through a speed regulator to go from tip/ring connection to LEGO(r) 2x2 double plate connection, yes. (...) Many of us power lots of accessories this way, lights, motors, etc. I even power 12V stuff this way. There presumably is a (...) (22 years ago, 7-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact