 Trains / 18265
Re: Dream rails
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 23:28:53 GMT

gianluca morelli wrote:
Hi guys,
I just put on brickshelf some pics of wish-lego-produced-them rails.

These images are made from Autocad 14 and exported as bitmap
images,then converted to gif images with Photo Editor.

here you can see 4 different curves.

They all cover a 22.5° angle.
as you can read,radii are respectively 40,56,88 and 104 studs
the 40 studs one is the curve we all know and that lego produces.
56 wide is the outer radius that we all would like to have.
Plus,88 and 104 are modular to 40 wide radius (40,56,72,88,104,spaced
of 16).

This would be so cool... just the 56 would already be nice, but having
88 and 104 , either as replacements or additional, would be awesome!

Only problem I see is that we'll need a bigger hall at LEGOWorld 2003
for the train layout ;)

It's a switch made of a 48 long straight and a 104 wide/22.5° curve.
You can see that the curve has a size of 40 studs lenghtwise and 8
crosswise (*),this meaning that with a countercurve you move of 80 (5
straights) lenghtwise and 16 (standard distance between parallel
tracks) crosswise

Now THIS is awesome! With a larger radius and the straight part, trains
should run much smoother over points, making it easier to build long,
high and still stable running trains.

However, given what Brad told us at LEGOWorld and looking at the cost of
the molds, I am afraid we'll just need to keep on dreaming. Maybe if you
worked out the mold drawings already and sent those to LEGO? ;)
--
Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/~javanree/
VanReeDotNet IT Solutions    | http://www.vanree.net