 Trains / 18305
Re: Dream rails
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 04:20:39 GMT

In
He didn't quote prices, but given how he was talking about the need to
make huge quantities for them to earn something, and my own experience
in making molds, I'd say at least 50,000 for the 2 curves, not including
the assembly stuff to put the metal tracks on. Points are a lot worse,
because of all the moving parts.

I _think_ that it can be done for rather less than what Lego is quoting, but it
would require some special conversion pieces.  IIRC, in the mid 80's, GEM (a UK
model railway co) and the TT society made a track base mold for TT for ~1000
UKP.  Or, about 4000 UKP for _a track base_ mold.  If we used Code 225 or such
like O gauge track, it should be possible to figure out a relatively easy way
to connect the track together (probably split straight track), and for a cost
of ~8000 UKP current.  Given that I pay ~1 UKP for a piece of track now, and
what rail costs, I think that you could sell them for about the same price, but
they would NOT look like lego rail...at least, without Lego's promission to
make it studded.  A lot would depend on exact design spec's- it may well cost
_less_ now to get a die made, because EDM makes it rather easier to make the
die to the spec's.

James P