 Trains / 18334
Re: Shay #5
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:24:47 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
Ah, well, you lost me.  I never said anything about 36"; the "3" in On3 is
short for 30"...  Actually, I was shooting from the hip in my initial post-- I
just found that link after your post-- weren't you blathering something about
HOn3? :-)

Basically what happens is that to model narrow gauge, you take track from the
next smallest scale and call it 30"-- it's not perfect, but close enough.

I thought that when numbers like this were used for narrow gauge they were
in reference to the gauge of the rails in feet? As in On3 for 3 feet or 36"
gauge while On2&1/2 was two and a half feet or 30" gauge. I've also heard of
On2, but never On30, perhaps that's just an easier way of expressing On2&1/2?

Jeff Christner