 Trains / 18262
Re: lights and train power supply question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 19:11:05 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Paul Janssen writes:
Can you run the lights from the light and sound sets (9V), with the 9V train
transformer?

If routed through a speed regulator to go from tip/ring connection to
LEGO(r) 2x2 double plate connection, yes.

For a project I have 20 lights, I now use 10 9V battery boxes, and
connecting multiple lights to 1 battery box decreases the intensity of the
individual lights. Has anyone run a bunch of lights with the standard train
transformer? I wouldn't like to find out the hard way that its is damaging
to either (or worse yet to both)....

Many of us power lots of accessories this way, lights, motors, etc.

I even power 12V stuff this way.

There presumably is a current limit beyond which the regulator will
heat-trip but it seems to do so with no lasting damage.

It should be pointed out that there MAY (I speculate, MAY) be some
deleterious effects since the wall wart and regulator are putting out
modulated voltage and I had read in back issues of MR that any changes in
voltage, especially rapid ones, tend to somewhat reduce the lifetime of
incandescent bulbs.

As far as I know no one has carried out a definitive study on that.

Hope that helps.