 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5739
Re: Train that runs on tires.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 17:22:02 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, James Trobaugh writes:
Interesting idea. It reminds me of the airport train in Dallas TX, not
really a train, more of a automated bus running on a hotwheels track. It is
a rough ride for sure.

jt

I thought that too, when I saw this creation.  It is a very annoying ride.
I came across two links that describes the new "Automated People Mover" at DFW:
http://207.252.75.134/dec00/people_movers.html
and http://www.dfwairport.com/mediasite/pdf/02/apm_debut.pdf
These refer to the new APM that DFW's building to connect the new terminals
to the old ones.  I didn't come across any existing APM links.  Maybe this
new train will replace the old tire driven one.

Ed

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Derek Raycraft writes:
A while back at a rtlToronto dinner a bunch of us were looking through
new catalogs when we came across the new Racers sets.  I think many in
the group had a similar thought but Iain was the first to vocalize it.
Wouldn't it be cool to make a train that ran on the new Racers track.

After a long delay waiting for a BOGOHP sale at Zellers.  Because you
need two 4588 to make a full loop of racers track.  I finally got around
to building a train that runs on tires.

Here it is:

This is just a prototype.  I wanted to see how well it would work and it
turned out quite well.

At first it was only two wheel drive and tended to get bogged down in
the corners.  I upped it to four wheel drive and it runs very smooth.

I'm using a Code Pilot to power it.  Its the only controller that fits
in 6 wide, sort of, and still does more then a battery box.  This train
has a touch sensor on the side that engages the platform as the train
goes around the loop.  When the sensor releases the train stops lined up
with the platform.  If only I had put doors on the train people might
have been able to get on and off. :-)  Then after a delay the train
starts around the loop again.

From a geometry point of view the radius of the Racers track is such
that it fits just inside the train track.  So an offset of 8 studs to
the inside.

The switchs are interesting too.  Y switch instead of branching off to
one side.  I haven't tried to fully implement a switch yet.  We played
around with it at rtl12 but the design of the train will have to be
modified to clear a switch arm properly.

It was a lot of fun putting this thing together.  I'm not sure if we can
fit it into Train4 but I'm sure I'll find a way to get it into a future
train event.

Derek