 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5738
Re: Delightful Radio Shack VIC20 Robot Article
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 17:18:56 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, David Koudys writes:
Oh My Goodness!!  That brings back soooo many memories.

Yeah, when I saw it, I was floored.  I used to have a stack of Transactors
that the school library gave me, because no one was interested in them.
Read every paragraph, sentence and word of them.  Problem was, I never
really understood the nitty gritty, mainly because I had an Apple II.

There was an article in a much later Transactor which interfaces the same
Radio Shack arm with the 64.  The 64 had a much easier hardware interface
'cause the 'user port' was much akin to todays parallel port, in which you
had 8 lines to play with.

I miss the days people would glue stuff to your PC for fun.  I remember
reading a book called...Osborne Book of Computer Stuff (okay, I made that
up) but it was a British book about computers.  One of the later pages
described building a robot by using relays, but it didn't give any specifics
like what pins to use on the expansion card or how to poke those interfaces,
because it was a general book that covered Spectrums, Commodores, BBC Micros
etc.

Nowadays there's a lot fewer homebrew projects (the computer market and
users have matured) out there.  Maybe that's why people are into Mindstorms.
Or Linux. (gasp)

I started to build a very simple interface for the user port in which each
line out connected to a relay, and the other half of the relay could handle
4.5 volts, thus I was able to connect 8 LEGO 4.5 volt motors to the 64.
Unfortunately, that project was never completed, and I only owned 1 4.5 volt
motor at the time.

But it was fun building :)

I really wished I had done something like that-I got in a lot later with the
MIT Miniboard.

I remember reading a Compute! (now that's a blast from the past) article
about Lego releasing a product called Lego TC Logo for the Apple II.  Boy
did I want to get one of those.  I guess we didn't have the Internet so I
couldn't really

I have a VIC, a 64, a 128 and a Pet in storage, and two years ago, right
before I moved into my current apartment, they all worked :)

Oh the memories of the Commodore :)

I know...I miss those machines from a nostalgia standpoint.  I had a
PET2001-32N (proper keyboard) and an Apple II Plus clone.  God knows how
long I used them until one day I made a the harsh discovery that you
couldn't hot swap expansion cards (I think it was the 16K expansion or the
DiskII controller).  I guess I was ahead of my time. :)

Calum