 Trains / 18279
Re: New Lime/Green railcar set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 13:12:38 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steve Barile writes:
I'm not sure what a set of three coaches running under their own power is
called... Lar?

I'm not sure of modern US nomenclature. In the old days internal combustion
self propelled cars were called railcars. Budd brought out a particular
implementation that they called the RDC or Rail Diesel Car which I've seen
used as an appelation for other products.

We don't seem to have a lot of these, most of our trains are either
locomotive pulled or electric nowadays, although there is an upswing coming,
I think. (in Portland, for one, IIRC)

The european term of DMU is probably as good as any. (assuming your model is
simulating a Diesel powered unit... is this model freelance or of a
particular prototype?)

Well whatever the name, it looks very pretty. However, as someone somewhere