 Technic / 9062
  Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

As a school project I'm building a small car powered by a solar panel. It should come as no big surprise that I'm doing this with lego. :) I started out with the 8880 chassis (without bodywork) motorised by an old style 9V motor. The project is (...) (21 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) Hi Gillis! Welcome to Lugnet. Your project sounds very interesting, as the 8880's major flaw has always been the difficulty in motorizing it. The quicktime 3d images are cool, but do you take any photos of the completed model? (in JPG) ? I (...) (21 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

Sounds great! I would also like to see a bunch of .jpg photos. The transmission is something I'd love to see in detail and details on the solar panel you're using would satisfy a curiosity(sp?) as well. Keep us updated. ---...--- Nathan Falslev (...) (21 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) I don't have any 'real' photos, as I don't have a digital camera. The .ldr files come from MLCad, and for me they work in LDview too. Maybe you can try those. (21 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.technic)

"Gillish" <gillish@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message news:H9L3vr.6xo@lugnet.com... (...) very (...) Your transmission looks very good. I am curious about your solar panel. My experiments with the Lego Solar Panels were successful but I don't think I (...) (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) doubt it'll give that much power but then again, half of it would be enough anyway. The size of it is 364x364mm, so it's rather larger than your lego panels combined. When loaded it gives about 16-17 volts. I've messured ~16.5 volts at ~0.35 (...) (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) I've tested the solar panel some more today, and I've messured it giving 8 watts to the lego motor now, at 15:15 in the afternoon on yet another sunny winterday in Holland. I can only wonder what it would give in mid summer...unfortunately the (...) (21 years ago, 3-Feb-03, to lugnet.technic)

"Gillish" <gillish@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message news:H9qLwq.9uJ@lugnet.com... (...) sunny (...) exactly (...) same (...) That is a very powerful solar panel compared to Lego Solar. It would be interesting to build a larger chassis and see if you (...) (21 years ago, 3-Feb-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) it just wouldn't go nearly as fast, which is something I am, at least for this project, not prepared to live with. Also, the solar panel is nearly 2 kilo's, with the car at 900 grams, of which like 260grams is taken by the wheels, that would (...) (21 years ago, 3-Feb-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

With the sun getting ever stronger as the season progresses, the solar panel now gives close to 9 watts at 2 in the afternoon, and I suspect this will go even higher... The lego motor is thinking of going on a strike or even dying though...It (...) (21 years ago, 13-Feb-03, to lugnet.technic)

"Gillish" <gillish@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message news:HA920E.E7y@lugnet.com... The lego motor is thinking of going on a strike or even dying (...) heavily. (...) I think it is time to consider a lighter chassis. Your project is getting rather (...) (21 years ago, 13-Feb-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) If I want to keep all the features (4wd, gearbox, suspension), which I do, the chassis can't be very much lighter than it is now. Besides, that's just not the direction I want to go. Thing is, I really want to use a better motor. The lego (...) (21 years ago, 13-Feb-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) Or you could put in additional LEGO motors to share the power and load. If you buy a non-LEGO motor you will also face the sometimes difficult task of attaching it to LEGO. You might need to glue bricks to the body so it can be attached, the (...) (21 years ago, 14-Feb-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) Pessimist, huh? ;) Additional lego motors would probably make it go faster, yes, but not much more efficient. Lego motor's efficiency is still rather low compared to the 'high tech' industrial motors, that go up to 90+% efficiency. I'd also (...) (21 years ago, 14-Feb-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) Hi Gillis, I have been following this thread with great interest since you first posted. My recommendation? Buy two of the new style Lego motors. They are very, very, very efficient. They will be much cheaper than an industrial quality motor, (...) (21 years ago, 14-Feb-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) It's just that according to this page: (URL) the new style lego motors' efficiency is only 54% at 9v (or even 47% for the 'newer' (?) style V9 motor)...which is not even close to 90%...Of course that test may be a little off, but would that (...) (21 years ago, 14-Feb-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) Well, I can't argue with that... But in your application, going from a motor with 30% efficiency to one with 54% efficiency will help a lot. You will also gain some efficiency by simplifying your gearing since the new motors are already geared (...) (21 years ago, 15-Feb-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) Connecting the motors in parallel means they'll get 16volts at about .25amps each. (if their combined electrical resistance is right, which it isn't, which makes the solar panel perform badly...) That's 4 watts per motor, when they're intended (...) (21 years ago, 15-Feb-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

I've got an updated and now compleded .ldr file of the car. (except that the .ldr model doesn't have any wheels yet...ahh well, just imagine the 8880 wheels on it :) ) It's got a revised gearbox layout that uses one gear less than before, but has (...) (21 years ago, 16-Feb-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

I finally have a new motor; it's the 90% efficiency industrial motor I was talking about earlier; I managed to get it for 50€. Surprisingly, the technic gears almost fit perfectly on the axle. When putting a technic 16 tooth gear on it and running (...) (21 years ago, 5-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

"Gillish" <gillish@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message news:HBAIFq.FC3@lugnet.com... (...) modifications... You are getting the message. When you press LEGO to work too hard it screams "TOY" and leaves a trail of plastic dust behind. I think you will have (...) (21 years ago, 6-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) Yesterday I've built a new gearbox. It only uses 'properly' alligned gears, so they all mesh like they should, and are not 'just a tad far apart'. (like they were before) It does use one axle and 3 gears more than the last design, but it's far (...) (21 years ago, 6-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

This is all very interesting. I really like the solar panels. (Snip) e (21 years ago, 6-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) I wonder it would opperate if you could build an automatic transmission. Regards, Paul (21 years ago, 7-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) Interesting idea, but I personally would have no idea how to build an automatic transmission from lego. I do know that the 'classical' automatic transmission converts the torque by using viscous fluids that drive specially formed discs. I (...) (21 years ago, 7-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

"Gillish" <gillish@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message news:HBDEDp.IGn@lugnet.com... (...) hi have a look here (URL) Fitch did it br pixel (21 years ago, 7-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) Nope, he just copied Jeff Jahr's design: (URL) here's a pneumatic version by Markku Jääskeläinen: (URL) links found in TJ's excellent .technic sidebar! Best regards, /Tobbe (URL) SPAM when e-mailing) (21 years ago, 7-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

"Tobbe Arnesson" <StPnAtM@lotek.nu> wrote in message news:HBDqsw.Ip7@lugnet.com... (...) simeon even named the folder and i saw it but i didn't really get it so it is my fault sorry to all but generaly i wanted to show gillish it has been done (...) (21 years ago, 7-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

While that automatic transmission looks very good indeed, I don't think it's very well suited to this kind of car. I also wouldn't have enough parts to build it into the chassis. Today I've done another 2 rebuilds of the gearbox, so I don't have any (...) (21 years ago, 7-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) Thanks Tobbe and Pixel for bringing up those links. I knew of, and was actually referring to Jeff Jahr's transmission but, the pneumatic version by Markku Jaaskelainen is totaly new to me. I wish I knew how to make an umlaut on this computer (...) (21 years ago, 8-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) Nicely ambitious idea, but I don't nearly have enough lego to make it reality. Right now it's just a 8880 derived solar car for me. :) Today at about 16:00 the sun decided to come out a bit. There were still some very thin clouds, and the sun (...) (21 years ago, 9-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

Updated .ldr is ready, in case anyone cares... The (non-lego-) motor is located on the 2 yellow 1x8 plates over the rear axle. That 16tooth gear you see 'floating' in the air on the 24tooth gear is on the motor's axle. The motor is connected to the (...) (21 years ago, 9-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

hi i've tried to put this idea in life (? :) but the group members said it has been done alredy and sent me links to model team like (better) models but is i understand you well you mean the technic like model so i did the technic car seat which (...) (21 years ago, 10-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

As I'm nearly done with the project now, I thought I'd post some photo's and a movie of the solar car in action. First off; the car itself: (URL) you see the motor I've used, and how it's built into the lego construction. Doesn't look like anything (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.technic)

"Gillish" <gillish@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message news:HD11KA.DBC@lugnet.com... (...) trip over the wiring in your sprint to keep up with the model. -- Bob Fay (URL) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) Cool! (...) pieces! Makes me remember that cartoon over at BIMP: (URL)Finally, a movie of the car taking a sprint, with me running after it (...) And wow! But yikes! Well done! If *that's* not solar power, what is? (...) For you, I'll tip my (...) (21 years ago, 10-Apr-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) How difficult was it to ensure that the motor was straight, level, and the gears meshed properly? It seems like a lot of work, but it really paid off! How did you do it? :) I love the speed of it in the movie. How fast do you estimate it was (...) (21 years ago, 10-Apr-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) An image says more than a thousand words :D (URL) this above image you see the part of the car the motor is strapped to. On top of the 2 yellow 8x1 plates rests the motor, with the 16 tooth gear on its axle. The rubber band around the motor (...) (21 years ago, 11-Apr-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) Can you provide the dimensions of the motor, or possibly the exact brand/model of the motor? What did you have to do to connect it to the 9V Lego Battery box (cutting of wires, soldering, etc.) ? Thanks for the info. MM (21 years ago, 12-Apr-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.

(...) The motor I'm using is a Maxon RE-max 29, and because you've never heard of it, here's a pdf. :) ftp://ftp.maxonmotor..._141_e.pdf It's model number 226752. Dimensions are in the pdf file. The motor would normally cost ~ 80€, but I asked for a (...) (21 years ago, 12-Apr-03, to lugnet.technic)