 Technic / 9270
Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 18:29:16 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gillis Hommen writes:

Pessimist, huh? ;)

Additional lego motors would probably make it go faster, yes, but not much
more efficient. Lego motor's efficiency is still rather low compared to the
'high tech' industrial motors, that go up to 90+% efficiency.

Hi Gillis,
I have been following this thread with great interest since you first
posted. My recommendation? Buy two of the new style Lego motors. They are
very, very, very efficient. They will be much cheaper than an industrial
quality motor, and much lighter as well. I think you will be surprised at
the efficiency of the new motors in comparison to the old ones. The new
motors also have internal gearing, so you will be able to simplify the
geartrain on your car which will improve efficiency even further. Heck, I'm
so certain this will work I would lend you a couple of my motors if I lived
closer.

I'd also need
another diff to properly share the load between the motors.

This isn't necessary. The load will be shared regardless. Its like a tandem
bicycle. You could actually try just one of the new style motors and the
performance should improve dramatically.

Rob