 Technic / 9500
Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 19:07:02 GMT

I finally have a new motor; it's the 90% efficiency industrial motor I was
talking about earlier; I managed to get it for 50€.
Surprisingly, the technic gears almost fit perfectly on the axle. When
putting a technic 16 tooth gear on it and running the motor, it does slip on
the axle, but with a little tape around the axle and the gear on that, it's
tight enough and the gear doesn't slip. I've been able to allign it
perfectly with a 24 tooth gear so I don't have to use inefficient rubber bands.
I started off powering the the motor with 12v and virtually limitless
current from the PC, but the gearbox couldn't cope at all. The gears were
going krrr at every chance they got, and within minutes I had destroyed a 24
tooth gear. I had already had another 24 tooth gear breaking on me, on the
same spot in the drivetrain, so I decided to take a longer axle and just 4
gears instead of 2, thereby halving the torque on the gears.
After that I went back to the 9v battery box from lego to limit the current
and voltage somewhat, and save the gears. Still, the gearbox is falling
apart when I select a gearratio that uses the axle between the gearbox
itself and the diff. (look at this:
http://home.hccnet.nl/gillis.hommen/gearbox.PNG image, it's the axle with
the 24 tooth gear on it that forces itself and the bricks it rests in out of
the construction) and other gears are 'brushing teeth' when going in one
direction. (odly enough, the other way around works fine) That is because of
the somewhat unconventional placement of the gears.
When it does run, though, it runs great. On a 9v lego battery box it gets up
to 'jogging' pace, and that's only 9v, the solar panel should be feeding it
over 16 volts!
Unfortunately I haven't been able to test the motor with solar power yet, as
it's been cloudy the last few days and it doesn't seem to get better very soon.
Right now I need to redesign my gearbox to be stronger and have better
aligned gears. Preferably before the sun comes out. :)
Any ideas perhaps? It should ideally use as little gears and axles as
possible, and of course fit into the chassis without too much modifications...