 Technic / 9969
Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 13:28:08 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Max Maxwell writes:
In lugnet.technic, Gillis Hommen writes:
As I'm nearly done with the project now, I thought I'd post some photo's and
a movie of the solar car in action.

Here you see the motor I've used, and how it's built into the lego
construction. Doesn't look like anything special really. :)
http://home.hccnet.nl/gillis.hommen/DSC00102.JPG

How difficult was it to ensure that the motor was straight, level, and the
gears meshed properly? It seems like a lot of work, but it really paid off!
How did you do it? :) I love the speed of it in the movie. How fast do you
estimate it was going? Good luck with finishing it.

MM
An image says more than a thousand words :D
http://home.hccnet.nl/gillis.hommen/motormount1.png
In this above image you see the part of the car the motor is strapped to. On
top of the 2 yellow 8x1 plates rests the motor, with the 16 tooth gear on
its axle. The rubber band around the motor does not only go around the
yellow 8x1 plates, but also around the 6-long axles that you see in the
image, in effect firmly binding the motor not only to the yellow plates, but
also to the 2 4-stud-beams. In one of those 4-stud-beams also rests the axle
with the 24tooth gear(which meshes with the motor's 16 tooth gear).
Therefore, the rubber band holds the 24tooth and 16tooth gears firmly
together. The rubber band is strapped around the motor, 8x1 plates and
6-axles 3 times while in 'relaxed' state it is rather short, so it's REALLY
tight, takes a lot of force to be moved. It holds the motor in place perfectly.
I was very lucky that with the motor in this position, the gears mesh
perfectly, so getting the alignment right was actually (cause of a stroke of
luck) very easy. The motor's axle almost fits perfectly to lego gears, but
when the gear is loaded it starts to slip on the axle. To prevent that, I've
put some tape on the axle and put the lego gear over that. That tightens up
the connection and prevents any gear-axle-slippage.
If the motor's dimension would have been even slightly different it would
probably have been much harder to get all these things right, but
coincidentally, the dimension were perfect, and using the motor was a pleasure.

About the speed: the gearratio I was running would max out at about 13km/h,
and the car didn't seem to be accelerating any more, so it must have been
pretty close to that! I had one higher gear, maxing out at 19km/h, but the
car would accelerate very slowly, took a lot of distance to get up to speed,
and I haven't had a good try at it...but perhaps it could go even faster in
that gear. :)

How much time has been spent on it? Uhm...well...too much...that's for sure. :)