 Technic / 9249
Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:13:01 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Robert Fay writes:
I think it is time to consider a lighter chassis. Your project is getting
rather pricey. Maybe some voltage regulation would protect the Lego motor.
The Lego Capacitor and regulators are very good for that. Their output is
2.5 volts, so you would have to set them up as series outputs. Being that
your not transporting the supply, you can afford the extra weight. Good
luck!

If I want to keep all the features (4wd, gearbox, suspension), which I do,
the chassis can't be very much lighter than it is now. Besides, that's just
not the direction I want to go. Thing is, I really want to use a better
motor. The lego motor is rated for about 1 watt of mechanical power(and uses
3, efficiency is horrible), and with the solar panel producing 9+ watts, it
doesn't make sense to keep using it. With a better, more powerful, more
efficient motor the car will be able to go much faster, and that is
precisely the direction I want to go. The price is a problem, but I'll be
prepared to pay a good amount for a good motor if I really have to. This is
not just a school project, it's my ambition too you know. :)