 Technic / 9099
Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 20:32:53 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Robert Fay writes:

"Gillish" <gillish@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
In lugnet.technic, Gillis Hommen writes:
I've tested the solar panel some more today, and I've messured it giving 8
watts to the lego motor now, at 15:15 in the afternoon on yet another • sunny
winterday in Holland. I can only wonder what it would give in mid
summer...unfortunately the project has to be done far earlier. :)
Oh, I've found a .pdf of the Siemens SM-10 solar panel, which looks • exactly
like the one I'm using, and all the sizes mentioned in the .pdf are the • same
as mine, and all my messurements figure perfectly with those in the .pdf
too, it's just that it says "sm-12" on my solar panel, not "sm-10"....ahh
well. The pdf is here: http://www.atlanticsolar.com/traffic/specs/sm10.pdf
and it should give a good idea of the solar panel.

That is a very powerful solar panel compared to Lego Solar. It would be
interesting to build a larger chassis and see if you could transport the
panel on the vehicle. It is very challenging to work with the power to
weight ratios needed to be self contained. Good luck with your project. You
need some of the California USA sun to help you out.

--
Bob Fay

http://www.ozbricks.com/bobfay/

It would be very possible to make a self-contained vehicle with solar power,
it just wouldn't go nearly as fast, which is something I am, at least for
this project, not prepared to live with. Also, the solar panel is nearly 2
kilo's, with the car at 900 grams, of which like 260grams is taken by the
wheels, that would increase the load (and friction) on the driveaxles to the
wheels which the entire chassis 'hangs' on to 4 times what it's now...Only
decent bearings would make that reasonably possible, and there's no such
thing for lego unfortunately.
Also, with the panel on the car, it'll be flat on the car, facing straight
into the sky, which is not where the sun is this time of the year. It's
actually closer to the horizon than to the 'top' of the sky. It could
decrease the power output of the solar panel by a good lot I think.

I've actually tried driving the car (12v on the motor, from the computer's
HD lead) with the solar panel lying on it, and it'll move...it's just slow.