 Technic / 9273
Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 19:40:29 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gillis Hommen writes:

It's just that according to this page:
http://www.philohome.com/motors/motorcomp.htm the new style lego motors'
efficiency is only 54% at 9v (or even 47% for the 'newer' (?) style V9
motor)...which is not even close to 90%...

Well, I can't argue with that... But in your application, going from a motor
with 30% efficiency to one with 54% efficiency will help a lot. You will
also gain some efficiency by simplifying your gearing since the new motors
are already geared down.

I'd have to connect the 2 motors in serial

??? Why would you do this? I'm not an electronics expert, but connecting
motors in series seems strange. The speed of a motor is proportional to the
voltage across it, so I think you would get drastic speed variations between
two motors in series. This was discussed on the newsgroup a while ago:
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=19878
Someone actually tried connecting two motors in series (it is possible with
Lego, just a bit awkward) and this is what he found:
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=19880
If you connect two motors in parallel, they have the same voltage across
them, so their speed should be much more closely matched. I guess they draw
more current in this case, but such is life...

Connecting two motors without a diff
is do-able, but in serial, one of the motors will probably get more voltage
than the other, which makes the 'tandem connection' less optimal.

Right. In parallel this won't be a problem.

You're totally right about the weight though. The motor I'm looking to buy
weighs in at some 160grams, much more than 2 lego motors.

And don't forget cost :)

Actually, if your main focus is efficiency, why would you even use the
supercar chassis to begin with? I think you could increase your efficiency
dramatically just by using a highly simplified chassis with minimal gears
and parts. It would be lighter and have less losses due to friction.

Rob