 Technic / 9089
Re: Heavily modified 8880 chassis, succesfully motorised and solar powered.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 14:36:26 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gillis Hommen writes:
In lugnet.technic, Robert Fay writes:

Your transmission looks very good. I am curious about your solar panel. My
experiments with the Lego Solar Panels were successful but I don't think I
could move a heavy chassis. What voltage output does your solar panel
produce? I used two panels with capacitors to give me 5 volts to the motor.
You can have a look here:

http://www.ozbricks.com/bobfay/solar.htm

Keep us posted about your project.

--
Bob Fay

http://www.ozbricks.com/bobfay/

I use a solar panel from Siemens, model SM-12, that's rated at 12watts. I
doubt it'll give that much power but then again, half of it would be enough
anyway. The size of it is 364x364mm, so it's rather larger than your lego
panels combined. When loaded it gives about 16-17 volts. I've messured ~16.5
volts at ~0.35 amps, which is around 5.5-6 watts. I think it can do better
when connected to a different motor though. I've got the solar panel from
school and it's supposedly quite expensive. I can't find any specifications
of it unfortunately.

I've tested the solar panel some more today, and I've messured it giving 8
watts to the lego motor now, at 15:15 in the afternoon on yet another sunny
winterday in Holland. I can only wonder what it would give in mid
summer...unfortunately the project has to be done far earlier. :)
Oh, I've found a .pdf of the Siemens SM-10 solar panel, which looks exactly
like the one I'm using, and all the sizes mentioned in the .pdf are the same
as mine, and all my messurements figure perfectly with those in the .pdf
too, it's just that it says "sm-12" on my solar panel, not "sm-10"....ahh
well. The pdf is here: http://www.atlanticsolar.com/traffic/specs/sm10.pdf
and it should give a good idea of the solar panel.