 Technic / 4838
Re: Yet Another Technic Creation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 13:11:12 GMT

"Jennifer Clark" <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:GCt0sF.4AJ@lugnet.com...

Ooops, that was a local alias I cut and pasted by mistake. The correct
address is:

http://www.telepresence.strath.ac.uk/jen/lego/skip_lrg/chassis_right_lrg.htm

There are rollers on the truck I based the model on, you can see them • in
this picture:

   http://vulture/jen/lego/skip_lrg/real_hooklift_lrg.htm

and this one should be:

http://www.telepresence.strath.ac.uk/jen/lego/skip_lrg/real_hooklift_lrg.htm

I thought as much, they had me wondering for a second if your computer had
gone slash happy.

Also, about the dumpsters having wheels, not all of them have wheels - • some
just lie there stationary, and the truck is put in neutral or is slowly
driven back/forward when the dumpster is in touch with the ground.

Aye, I have seen this too, in fact I made a comment about it in the first
picture caption in the Skip Loading section, although the skip in question
does have wheels in this case. You can do this with the model as well; in
fact many people when first having a go with the model truck think that • this
is the "proper" way to do it.

I can say personally it is not unheard of for the larger varieties of
dumpster to get so heavy during loading that they will cause the front of
the truck to lift up a bit.  I witnessed this once when a truck was • carrying
away demolition material, the load on it seemed quite heavy, but the • lifting
on of the dumpster still seemed to progress smoothly.

Interesting! The one I based the model on never seemed to do this; I • wonder
if they were just behaving themselves loadwise since they were working in
the city centre and there was a higher risk of being caught overloaded?
;-)

Hmm - I'm not sure, but I think sometimes demolition material can get
overbalanced somewhat.  If the heavier stuff winds up at the wrong end, it
can make lifting on a bit melodramatic, but like all things mechanical, it's
just a matter of where the lever, fulcrum, and load are.  :-)

As you can probably tell, those hydraulic pistons on the prototype are quite
powerful - I'm not sure how much weight they can lift, but judging from some
of the loads I've seen them lift it's quite a bit.  One thing that is
particularly important is that while loading the dumpsters on, the hook
mechanism should always be shortened, if it is in the extended position, it
will likely not reach down far enough to hook onto the attachment point of
the dumpster.

For some dumpsters, the driver of the truck will often get underneath and
secure some chains to attachment points, I guess this is a safety measure in
case the dumpster bounces around a bit, and moves off it's loaded position.

They also use chains in cases where the dumpster has been moved into a
position where the hook can't reach it.  They simply hook some chains up,
and drag it to where the hook can engage properly, then loading goes as
normal.  I'm not sure if this is mentioned on your site.

One model I would like to see from the waste haulage and disposal side of
things is the kind where they use a large dump truck with large liftarms
that pick up industrial waste bins and tip them into a large capacity
combination bin and compassion unit.  There are a few variations on models
of this kind of unit.  One has hydraulic pistons driving the liftarms near
the pivot point, and another kind has liftarms that fold in half at the
fully raised position, and is a bit faster at raising and tipping the bins
than the first kind.

I sure hope your next model comes out as good as this one did, even though
it doesn't use pneumatics for realism, it still works extremely well for the
prototype the model is based on.  Keep up the good work, Jennifer!

--
Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde