 Technic / 4889
Re: Yet Another Technic Creation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 14:19:15 GMT

Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

Yeah, visually it's a bit unsteady looking.

Ok, I can finally lay this ghost to rest: I had a look at the technical data
section of the MAN website, where they have information on fitting tippers,
hook lifts and so on to the chassis of their trucks, and they were quite clear
that the front of the truck lifting off the ground when loading a skip is a Bad
Thing. Of course, theory and practice are two different things entirely :-)

Apart from that, the only other thing one could model in them is a tipping
and compacting rear section, although that begins to get expensive in LEGO,
and mildly expensive in number of pneumatic elements needed.  I suppose they
could be motorized, but it seems a shame, sometimes, to take the easy route.
;-)

That sounds like a good competition - who can make the strongest compactor? I
suppose you'd have to impose a reasonable time limit otherwise some vastly
geared down solution that moves one centimetre per hour would win. I suspect,
however, that one would quickly find the weakness of the lego elements to be
the limiting factor.

Using motors is not always the easy route BTW! :-)

Jennifer