 Technic / 11992
Re: Studless Technic models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 06:43:38 GMT

In lugnet.technic, James Loewen wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Neb Okla wrote:

"jrl" <jrl3d@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:HrnyIK.1s2K@lugnet.com...

its own advantages, but that isn't the main issue. The studded beam was
designed to use the new connection system while also maintaining compatibility
with the rest of the lego system. The amount of new technic parts has made
studless building techniques viable, and the some builders have made impressive
models using these techniques, but if lego uses exclusively studless beams in
technic sets, they are essentially making technic into a separate building
system that is largely incompatible with the rest of the lego system.

That's just not true.  You can add stud-pins to the "studless" beams - and
the studs of regular lego sets also fit into the pin sockets snugly.  Thus
compatibility is maintained.

I didn't say that studless designs were totally incompatible with bricks, only
that compatibility is greatly diminished. It is true that technic half-pins can
be added to studless beams, but this takes a lot of pieces and these two
techniques still don't solve all the compatibility issues.

I feel that this is a very bad move, especially at a
time when the company has said that they are "getting back to basics" because of
recent financial troubles.

You're not going to get anywhere with the financial argument.  I'd wager
that the 8455 will be one of the better selling Lego sets of all time - and
the cheaper studless Technic sets are great too.  If I've ever seen a
candidate for re-release, 8455 is one.

I wasn't really trying to make a financial argument, I was just saying that Lego
has said recently they are taking steps to go back to the basics, and changing
a building system so drastically doesn't seem to fit with that.

Taking a building method that has proven so popular, and putting it down in
it's infancy is just silly.  We have yet begun to see the coolest MOC's and
sets from TLC using the new construction methods afforded by studless beams.

I'm definately not putting down the new studless beams. I have built several
walking machines that wouldn't have been possible without them, ( See my
Brickshelf page: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi ) and I'm using
them in some new designs I haven't posted yet. I just don't see the need to
completely remove the studded beams from new Technic sets. In my experience, the
only real advantage of the studless beams over studded beams is their slimmer,
lighter design, and I don't see that as a big enough incentive to completely
remove the piece that has long been the cornerstone of the technic system. Both
types of beam should be able to peacefully coexist.

Just a correction, the address for the Brickshelf page is as follows:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=jrl

-James