 Technic / 12001
Re: Studless Technic models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 04:58:12 GMT

"jrl" <jrl3d@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Hrrs2H.1Fy9@lugnet.com...

I didn't say that studless designs were totally incompatible with bricks, • only
that compatibility is greatly diminished. It is true that technic • half-pins can
be added to studless beams, but this takes a lot of pieces and these two
techniques still don't solve all the compatibility issues.

Well, it's give and take.  Over the years Lego has released hundreds of
pieces that take the product line into new territory - and with that you'll
have some legacy support along with legacy incompatabilty.

Anyone know if there is a list of retired Lego pieces out there?

I wasn't really trying to make a financial argument, I was just saying • that Lego
has said recently they are taking steps to go back to the basics, and • changing a
building system so drastically doesn't seem to fit with that.

To anyone who takes a historical view of Lego as a company, "the basics"
include continuting product innovation.

Some people think the addition of studless beams has been an improvement
that makes new building techniques possible.

Others think it spells the end of the 1980's/90's pointy boxy Technic sets
that we all know and love.

I think that the people who object to the "new" beam type (that has been
around for at least 5 years now) on the grounds that it is going to force
them to learn how to build in new ways - well, they're missing the point of
Lego.

If it were up to them, all we'd have are 2x4 bricks.

Taking a building method that has proven so popular, and putting it down • in
it's infancy is just silly.  We have yet begun to see the coolest MOC's • and
sets from TLC using the new construction methods afforded by studless • beams.

<*snip*>
Both
types of beam should be able to peacefully coexist.

Agreed.