 Technic / 11953
Re: Studless Technic models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:02:39 GMT

Jindroush wrote:

>>Peeron is down right now. I'll try to do a search as it goes up. But
>>looking in the 2003 catalog, none of the 'Technic' sets seem to have
>>them. Don't know about Bionicle/Star Wars/Racers though. Few technic
>>bricks are available in Designer Sets.
>

> Replying to myself, phew ;-)
>
> AFAIK in Technic, last sets containing studded beams are 3804 RIS2.0
> (2001), 8466 4x4Offroader (2001) & 8461 Williams (2002). 8431 Crane
> Truck (2002) doesn't count, as it is a re-release.
>
> Sets for 2003:
> 8441 Forklift = 0 technic bricks
> 8451 Dumper = 0
> 8453 Front end loader = 0
> 8454 Rescue truck = 6 1x2 with hole ;-)
> 8455 Backhoe loader = 0

I thought this was because studded beams were sold for so long, that
they figured it best to get a bulk of them out quickly.  This allows
builders to learn the different building techniques... but also gives
people enough supply to work with.

After building a couple MOCs with them, I began to see a lot of
potential in the studless type.  If there was just a small supply (or
variety) available, I would have been disappointed.

> Even slightly off-topic 4481 SW Hailfire Droid doesn't contain any. I
> haven't checked all Bionicles/Racers/SW, but as these are off-topic
> here, it doesn't matter anyway.
>
> The conclusion is: We know that the technic bricks were not abandoned
> by TLC (yet), but there are no Technic sets in 2003 which use them.

I agree, it would have been nice to have at least ONE set with a good
quantity of studded beams.  :)  Maybe 2004.

(we still need a motor with pin holes, studless perhaps?)
http://home.insight.rr.com/worldof/robotsandmachines/fr1g/index.html

// Joe