 Technic / 11966
Re: Studless Technic models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:41:49 GMT

In lugnet.technic, John Guerquin wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Steven Lane wrote:

I agree Steven; building with studless is not easy - it takes quite a bit of
practice.  But I doubt any of us were immediate experts when we first started
building with studded technic beams.  It took practice.  So will building with
studless.

This is the same point I made earlier. Building with studless is hard therefore
possibly damaging it's appeal to the kids who are supposed to be the market for
technic. Adult users of Technic are I think very rare.

And how with studless do you offset the height of a stud hole by one plate
height, like you can with old style? I tried to build a pnumatic controller and
couldn't fix down the new type switch in the correct place. I also found it hard
to secure it securely at all. The whole mounting would bend as I flipped the
switch. I fixed it, but not in the position I wanted too.

My building style also influence's my decision. I use a lot of system in my
models. Mainly full bodywork. And the best way of fixing plates down is directly
onto studded beams. I like SNOT construction and I can affix tiles and plates
directly without using an intermediate piece.

My fundamental problem with studless is that you can't make a simple frame like
you can with studded. Two 8L lenght beams with a 10L plate top and bottom
connected between two 16L beams is simplicity itself, and easily locked at 90
degrees. It also gives you a connection top and bottom. If you buit that from
studless the holes would be in the wrong orientation.

I dont regard a plate's stud rammed into a studless hole as a "proper"
connection.

Absolutely not Steve!!!  Why do you have such a strong desire to "kick them
while they're down" ???

Because the right time to tell them things is when they're listening.

Steve