 Technic / 11941
Re: Studless Technic models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:12:27 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steven Lane wrote:
   In lugnet.technic, Allan Bedford wrote:
   In lugnet.technic, Jindrich Kubec wrote:

However, if you mean that in many ‘Technic’ sets there seem to be few old-style bricks, then yes you might be right.

It’s obvious to me he means that.

   But the traditional approach of building from bottom to top (few technic bricks, some plates, some additional bricks and 90deg beam connections is IMO much more logical and(!) in line of previous Lego experience of the builder.

I agree, and in my own building style I often rely on the bottom to top method.

   This studless way of building is IMO much more complicated

What’s wrong with complicated? :)

Isn’t that what makes Technic models more interesting than others?

Your more wrong Allen, than Lego was to change the shade of gray. There are few enough really good models posted here already without another level of complication slowing us down. We depend on the health of the Technic brand with the average consumer. So a system that is simpler to use and more universal (studded) is much more preferable to a les flexible, harder to use one.

It is my belief that Technic studded beams will always be around, as long as technic is around. There are too many advantages of studded beams over studless beams for them to go away. So for me that is a non-issue.

Studless beams have advantages over studded beams. The are narrower, in that you can hook two studless beams side by side with pins into adjacent holes in a studded beam. Cannot do that with studded beams.

So, they both are a good thing.

Studless plus studded beams give us *more* options, than just studded beams. This enriches the possibilities for MOCs. This is a good thing in my humble opinion.

Since I don’t beleive that studded beams are going away, then the appearance of studless beams is a big advantage.

snip

   3) Have anybody of you tried to build studless MOC?

Not completely out of studless, but I use them in original creations along with traditional bricks.

You should try it. I did, and ended up giving up out of frustration. When I switched back to old Lego I impreessed myself the build went so well. And before someone else says it yes I could do with more practice with the new system but early experiences were dis-encouraging.

You should build with what works for you. I folks want studded beams, they should not buy the 8455.

Were there no studded beams available in any of the technic sets for 2003?

When building bipeds, one of my favorite passtime, weight is an issue, A studless beam weights less than a studded beam of the same length/

   4) Should we bother TLC with this issue too?

Nope. They have plenty to deal with right now. Studless bricks (and the studded ones that they are still making) are not causing problems that are in any way like the other things that have lost so much money recently.

Wrong again. We should strike while the Lego company is at it’s most vulnrable. The company is currently rather receptive to what it’s been doing wrong. Lego’s problems could have a very posative outcome.

I for one will be very unhappy if you somehow make LEGO stop creating studless beams. If LEGO were to stop making studded beams, I would be equally upset.

Does it *have* to be an exclusive decision?

Kevin