 Technic / 12009
Re: Studless Technic models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:09:20 GMT

Studless is a very interesting topic.  There is a whole building philosophy
based on hiding studs, called SNOT.  It is not that studs are ugly or anything,
but they do look unnatural when trying to make realistic designs.  SO do unused
holes for that matter, but LEGO has yet to create plugs for the holes.  I've not
spent a lot of time understanding the rich philosophy of SNOT, but the SNOT
models I've seen try to mask holes just as much as studs.

Just to clarify; I thought SNOT was more about turning BASIC bricks on other
edges then Studs on top (hence SNOT - Studs Not On Top). By turning parts around
it creates different offsets etc.. See Bram's BMW as an example of offset
building:
http://news.lugnet.com/announce/moc/?n=1725

Sure, he used some tiles to cover up some of the studs but that's not SNOT. SNOT
is where he got the 0.7 stud offset.

The idea of turning bricks on their side is a common building tecnique for us
Technic builders but rather rare in the System lines. Thus it's "bigger" there,
especially in .space!

As for the studless vs. studded beams issue I'm for both types but think the
ratio is offset (!), I'd prefer more studded beams in the Technic sets.

Oh, and the ISD have a ton of classic 1 x 16 beams :)

--
Best regards,
/Tobbe