 Technic / 11965
Re: Studless Technic models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 12:34:10 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jindrich Kubec wrote:
Allan Bedford wrote:
Also, I hope you understood my question about what it was you were concerned
about.  I just wanted to clarify that I understood your original posting.  I
guess it looks like your biggest concern was the specific lack of studded bricks
in the series of Technic products... not that studded bricks had been replaced
altogether.

Yes.

Cool.  :)

It just makes sure we're all on the same page.

It was your use of the phrase, "the beams have right to live" that made me
wonder if you were worried that the parts had been discontinued. I like to check
the intentions of the original poster because I don't like to assume to always
know what people meant.

I should have written 'the studless beams'.

Actually it was specifically the words, "right to live" that seemed to indicate
you felt these parts were dead, gone, deleted, discontinued etc. etc.  Once
again, this was why I asked for a clarification.

It certainly allows you to create things you cannot create without them.
You said a lot, with just that one sentence!

Of course, I'm not against the studless beams. I'm against replacement
of studded beams with studless in new Technic sets, rendering them
incompatible with System. Technic bricks/plates were good 'compatibility
layer'.

So would it be true to say that you don't like Technic gears?  Aren't they (by
themselves) incompatible with classic 'System' bricks?  ;)

They work very well when attached to Technic bricks, using Technic axles, but I
don't think there are many ways to attach a 24 tooth gear to a 2x4 brick using
nothing but those two pieces.  I understand your feelings about the studless
pieces, but I also think it's true that they, and studded pieces, and completely
traditional bricks can all live together nicely.  I don't see that this has to
be a one or the other decision.

a)  I don't think this is the right time.  In all sincerity the color issue is a
major and potentially damaging problem that needs to be dealt with now.
Studless beams/struts/trusses/liftarms have been around for years.

Let me see - I'm against replacement of Technic Bricks. So, these parts
are replacements:
1x2 - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/43857 - from 2002
1x3 - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/32523 - from 2000
1x5 - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/32316 - from 2000
1x7 - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x150 - from 2001
1x9 - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/120 - from 2001
1x11 - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/32525 - from 2001
1x15 - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/32278 - from 2000

Wouldn't call this 'years'.

So from 2000 - 2004 is not a time period that can be described in "years"?  O.K.
Then let's say that the studless beams have been around for 36 - 48 months.
Given that the recent color issue has only been around for about 2 months, I
think the firestorm over studless pieces should have erupted long ago.  ;)

Your list leaves me with another question and I just want to ask for
clarification of your feelings again.  Based on the examples above I would take
it to mean that you are primarily against the full-width studless beams.  Is
that true?  I didn't see any links to half-width beams/liftarms like this:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/32017

And those have been around since at least 1997.  So are you o.k. with them?
They have, without question, been around for years.  If 1997 isn't several years
ago then I guess my time travel machine has finally started working. ;)

Jindrich, I hope you have gotten the impression from my comments and replies
that I do, in fact, agree with you.  I would love very much to see the return of
a strong 'Technic' line of products... including the use of the word 'Technic'
on packaging and sales materials.  And in those sets I'd love to see a return to
some of the classic studded bricks and building techniques that made those
products so strong in the beginning.  But right now that's not happening.  The
good news is that LEGO hasn't said they are replacing Technic with something
else... as they have done with the colors they recently changed.  So I have this
feeling that if sets like this:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8438

Sell well as rereleases then perhaps the company will see how much some builders
like these older style of models.  Have you bought one of these?  If not, have
you at least written to the company expressing your support for the reissuing of
Technic models that use LOTS of studded Technic bricks?  That great set contains
14 1x16 studded bricks!  And that's just the tail end of the list:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/8460-1

It's just my feeling that if something is being done right... tell them.  And if
you're really unhappy with something like the Backhoe (isn't that where this
much more like what you expect when you think of a Technic model and why you
feel that is important.  And if you feel that there is room in the world for
both styles... then hey, buy one of each.  :)

Best regards,
Allan B.